Formula to pull specific information from a cell with unrequired info (lots of it)

Jamie0886

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Microsoft Excel 365 & 2016
[FONT=&quot]Hi all, I have a spreadsheet where the first cell in my row contains the information I need, but also contains over 400 words/characters that I don't need and the information I need is never in the same position. The info I need is a reference number that starts with 19.[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, Fira Sans, Droid Sans, sans-serif]First time poster, so take it easy on me. Thanks in advance guys.[/FONT]

[FONT=Segoe UI, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Roboto, Oxygen, Ubuntu, Cantarell, Fira Sans, Droid Sans, sans-serif]Also, I'm no good with VBA's :-( I really hopeful for a formula I can paste into column B and drag it down, as the full version of the report may have up to 50 rows.[/FONT]

Attachments

• test.xlsx
    14.3 KB · Views: 13
Does this formula do it?

Code:
=MID(A10,FIND("referenceNumber",A10)+17,8)

Administrative Note:

Welcome to the forum. :)

It has been brought to our attention that the same query has been posted on one or more other forums and you have not provided the required cross-post link(s) here.

Read this to understand why we (and other sites like us) consider this to be important.

(Note: this requirement is not optional. As you are new, I will do it for you this time: https://www.excelforum.com/excel-fo...m-a-cell-with-unrequired-info-lots-of-it.html.)

Back