Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Specification Comparison Table from Different Worksheets

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

Hi Ali, probably easier if I share the file with dummy data for better communication. As you can see, the layout for my real data will be identical to the one attached. I tried following the instruction but seems not working...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365 Subscription
    Well, yes and no! This way, I just do it all again for you and you learn nothing.

Far better to share with me the version that shows how far you got and allows me to troubleshoot. So do that, please.
    Ali
    Enthusiastic self-taught user of MS Excel!

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365
    Here's where i got to. When i'm creating the Pivot and Composite Query, reference to Column 7 shows error and I couldn't continue futher...Camera Revised Inputs.xlsx

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365 Subscription
    OK - the thing is, when you ask for help, you really need to try to make sure that the data you provide as a sample truly reflects the data you are working with in terms of layout. You didn't do that, and this is why it's failing.

Never mind! I have reworked the instructions up to and including step 5. From step 6 onwards, you will need to ADAPT the cell references to fit the new parameter list, but I think that you are quite capable of doing this yourself. If not, then shout again.

Attached are the updated instructions and an updated version of your workbook taking you as far as and including step 5.
    Ali

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365 Subscription
    Aaarrrggghhhh!!!!

I have just noticed another bloody merged cell - ROLL. Going to have to re-write again. NOW I'm getting annoyed.
    Ali

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365 Subscription
    Well, you've made this much harder to test by using the RAND() formula and not then copying and pasting values, and I don't have time to fix that on top of the other changes that needed to be made. I hope that what you have shared this time properly reflects the real data, because I really don't have any more time to spend on this, sorry.

Attached are the COMPLETED up-to-date instructions, including a fix for the ROLL issue, and a copy of the workbook with the whole lot implemented.

I am happy to consider any MINOR tweaks going forward, but I won't be rewriting the whole lot a third time - I do hope you understand. You need to get stuck in and work through each of the steps in the queries to begin to understand how they work. It's a fairly steep learning curve with PQ, but very well worth the effort: this is something I now use every day at work.
    Ali

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365
    Hi Ali, thanks for the advice. Sorry that I've caused so many issues for you. I was suddenly inundated with some urgent projects. I do apologize and I overestimated my ability to be able to troubleshoot in the hopes to not cause too many troubles for you, but obviously it failed miserably. I'll dive into it and feedback next week.

I really appreciate your kindness and help in this, and will definitely revert on how I've been going.

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365 Subscription
    I've just been inundated with urgent timetable changes to be done before Monday and I have to work on next year's timetable, so I won't be around so much for the next few weeks as term starts up again.

I have a real fondness for PQ, so ensuring that any solution works for anyone I help is really important to me as I want people to know how good it is. I can be a woman on a mission when time permits, so I'm looking forward to the pleasure of retirement from July.

If you have questions, just post them here and I'll respond, but it may not be immediate.
    Ali

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365
    Hi Ali, sorry it's been a while since I posted. I've been playing with the worksheet with my own data and it was working really well until the last step. where I get the "N/A" error in some of the cells which I have data in them. Unfortunately what i have is quite sensitive data so I'm not sure how to post it here for troubleshooting. Should I try to replicate them in the camera worksheet?

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365 Subscription
    I can't troubleshoot it without, although an #N/A error sometimes means a possible mismatch or a leading/trailing space issue.
    Ali

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast