Conditional Formatting: High School Counselor needs help am I using the right feature

Chuckiedev

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Hello,

I am a guidance counselor and need help.

Here’s the deal.

I have an excel spreadsheet with about 2500 students. Some days it’s 2499 and other days it’s 2501. We assign the kids a mental health survey. When we run the report we get all “active” students. Column J says True if the student took the survey, False if they did not. I know three students took the test because my total numbers of true changed over the weekend. I’m trying to find who was true on Feb 8 but not Feb 5. (We asked the vendor to add time stamps but they declined)

On the February 6th tab I have =A1<>’Feb5’!A1 it worked.

When I try it on the Feb 8 tab it highlights everyone.

I just removed three students, and from the source sheet and it no longer worked.

I want it to compare columns A, B, and C on Tuesday results..
If A and B are the same on “Tuesday” and “Wednesday”, but C is different I want C to Highlight.(or something)

Please note, Chuck dropped out of school.. I think he is smoking pot down on the corner.

Tuesday
Name
ID
Took Test

Mary
False

Mark
False

Luke
True

John
False

Chuck
True

Bob
True

Wednesday
Name
ID
Took Test

Mary
False

Mark
True

Luke
True

John
False

Bob
True

I've got some ideas (possibly using VLOOKUP) but not sure about some of the details; you talk about running a report, so does that report produce a new Excel sheet, perhaps a new Excel workbook?, or something else (it might be easier if it is 'something else' by the way)?
Does the ID by itself uniquely identify the student - does that ID stick with them, and all new students get a new ID which has never been used before?
If you are getting a new worksheet everytime, are you wanting conditional formatting added to that new sheet?
Are macros (vba) allowed. You're using nothing later than Excel 2016 right?

To save us lot's of time and to stop us guessing wrongly, you should really attach a workbook - I'll wait for that…

Because we are talking student data I really can't upload the workbook.

I mocked one up.

I am using a school computer, limited permissions.. never tried macros.

The list attached is 6 people.. my actual list is 2745.

Every day I run a new report with 274X

I copy that spreadsheet to a new sheet in my master workbook and compare monday to tuesday, tuesday to wednesday.

Attachments

• Sample.xlsx
    9.5 KB · Views: 10
There's conditional formatting on Sheet1 to highlight those rows where either Column E has changed or a student doesn't exist on Sheet2.
The formula used in conditional formatting was developed in cell P2. You do not need this column at all - it's there to show workings.

Attachments

• ExcelGuru11045Sample.xlsx
    10.4 KB · Views: 12
Thank you.

Thank you. I will take this and run.

Back