Need formula to create totals using only certain data

dpackard

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Office online
I have a list of competitors and their dogs that earn points in competitions that need to be tracked for the year. Currently, the standings are based on the total points earned by each team, but I would like to set up a scenario where I can see standings based only on the sum of a certain number of each team's top scores (either 5, 10, or 15).

I have formulas in place to sum up the number of competitions that each team has earned points in, as well as their total points earned for the year, but I don't know how to write the formula to add up only the top 5, 10 or 15 sets of points for each team. Is this possible?

I've attached my worksheet with my current progress.

Thank you

Attachments

• Formula help example.xlsx
    30.3 KB · Views: 11
Administrative Note:

We would very much like to help you with your query, however it has been brought to our attention that the same query has been posted on one or more other forums and you have not provided the required cross-post link(s) here.

Read this to understand why we (and other sites like us) consider this to be important.

(Note: this requirement is not optional.)

This is easily accomplished with a formula : =MAX(IF(A$2:A$5000=N2,F$2:F$5000,"")) . I copied the list of names in Column A and pasted them in column N, starting in N2. I then used "remove duplicates" in the Data tab to get the unique list. The formula was filled down as far as the list of names in Column N extends. The formula references this list to avoid the labor of typing each unique name in each formula. This can be adjusted and implemented for Columns G and H.

Last edited:
My apologies- you wanted the Sum, not the Max. Change MAX to SUM.

This is easily accomplished with a formula : =MAX(IF(A$2:A$5000=N2,F$2:F$5000,"")) . I copied the list of names in Column A and pasted them in column N, starting in N2. I then used "remove duplicates" in the Data tab to get the unique list. The formula was filled down as far as the list of names in Column N extends. The formula references this list to avoid the labor of typing each unique name in each formula. This can be adjusted and implemented for Columns G and H.

Thank you, I will give that a try!

And a Power Query solution at cell K1. Right-click and choose Refresh to update.

Attachments

• ExelGuru11008Formula help example.xlsx
    41.8 KB · Views: 13
Back