Can Excel Compare Two Worksheets and Display the Differences in a Third?

jdanniel

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
MS365
Hello, everyone. First, please allow me to wish you all a Happy New Year. I hope you and your family and friends are all in good health.

I was hoping I could ask for some assistance or advice with an idea I have for a spreadsheet.

I have a spreadsheet for my music collection, which I've compiled over the course of 45 years. Also, I have a spreadsheet for the music I have in my car.

I'd like to know if it is possible for me to do something with these spreadsheets. Here's what I want to do:

I'd like to merge these spreadsheets, and create a third worksheet. I'd like Excel to look at the CAR worksheet, compare it to the INVENTORY worksheet, and display the remaining albums in the third worksheet.

Please allow me to elaborate on this.

Let's say an artist in the INVENTORY worksheet has ten albums.
Let's also say that artist has four albums listed in the CAR worksheet.
I'd like the third worksheet to display the remaining six albums by that artist.

Here's a more specific example:

In the INVENTORY worksheet, Steely Dan has ten albums.
In the CAR worksheet, Steely Dan has four albums.
I'd like the third worksheet to display the remaining six albums by Steely Dan that are NOT in the CAR worksheet.
And so on for any other artists/albums.

I hope this all makes sense. Anyway, is this at all possible? If it is, is it something easy? Something complicated? Something that would drive me up the wall, trying to figure out?

Thank you for reading this, and if you are kind enough to help out, thank you for that, too. J. Danniel

Attachments

• car_music.xlsm
    265.8 KB · Views: 12
I came up with a solution that is actually so easy, I don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Instead of having two worksheets, I have one, which is the master inventory.

I add a column called CAR.

If an album is in my car collection, I simply put an X in the CAR column. That's it, that's all there is to it.

Now, if I filter the list to display only records with an X in the CAR column, it will display what's in my car.

If I filter the list to display only records that are blank in the CAR column, then it will show me everything that's not in my car.

I created a slicer for this, so I can toggle between X and BLANK.

That's it. That's all there is to it.

Back