Formatting trouble in Power Query

clmish

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
I have a Power Query in which I include transforming column data types. Even though I change a column that contains values with leading zeroes ("011", "012", etc., along with "11", "12" and so forth, which are different categories), the resulting output (an append query) does not preserve this formatting, even though it appears as the correct presentation in the source table. Again, the Power Query query shows "ABC" as a text formatted column, but the output shows "11" instead of "011".

I have to use "Special" formatting to get the leading zeroes to appear in the source data.

I saw a posting that Preserving filter/format, etc. in the Data>Query>Properties will avoid the incorrect treatment of formats in PQ. UNFORTUNATELY, the option is grayed out, even though I have put the file in a Trusted Location.
How can I get that option to show up?
Appreciate the help. It's very frustrating to get a query to kick out the right data, but in the wrong format.
Thanks,

Can you show what is grayed out. And can you also upload a sample workbook for a better understanding of your problem.

The issue was resolved in another way - the trouble was that I inadvertently changed the field's format to Decimal early in the query. Since PQ only states generally what the step was ("Changed Type"), it is not always easy to find errors like this. I still don't know why the query & connection property is grayed out, but now I don't care so much. I couldn't have uploaded a sample because it is work-related and confidential as such.

Back