Add VLOOKUP function, containing MATCH statement, to one sheet from another

CarolinaS

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
I would like to add the VLOOKUP formula, displayed in cell I3 in the 'Product code'-sheet to the 'Customer orders'-sheet. In the 'Product code'-sheet, when I change the blend or unit size (in the little table H1:14), the product code automatically fills in which is what I want for the other sheet.

Basically looking at the 'Customer orders' sheet I want to choose blend and size unit from a drop down menu (already created) and then the Product No. will fill in automatically. There's around 40 unique product codes depending on blend and unit size.

I don't know if trying the VLOOKUP is the right thing, I started with an IF function but because of the conditions and number of product codes that quickly became confusing and the VLOOKUP works like I want it to in the 'Product code'-sheet but when I try to move it over to the other one it doesn't work.

I would appreciate some help to do this, either the way I've started or if another way is more suitable.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Order Template.xlsx
    14.5 KB · Views: 18
An INDEX MATCH MATCH is what you nd for a matrix like this:

=INDEX($B$2:$D$4,MATCH(I1,$A$2:$A$4,0),MATCH(I2,$B$1:$D$1,0))

If you want to stick with a VLOOKUP, the equivalent for your formula is, in cell A19:
Code:
=VLOOKUP(D19,'Product Code'!$A$2:$D$4,MATCH(B19,'Product Code'!$A$1:$D$1,0),0)
which you can copy down.

Administrative Note:

Welcome to the forum. :)

We would very much like to help you with your query, however it has been brought to our attention that the same query has been posted on one or more other forums and you have not provided the required cross-post link(s) here.

Read this to understand why we (and other sites like us) consider this to be important.

(Note: this requirement is not optional. As you are new, I will provide the link for you this time: https://www.excelforum.com/excel-fo...atch-statement-to-one-sheet-from-another.html.)

grrrr. Wasted my time.

And mine, and not even a word of thanks. Rude and thoughtless = no help in the future.

Back