VBA to parse email body text not looping

csquared013

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Hello all,

I was wondering if a generous soul would be able to scan over my code and show me where I went. I'm new to VBA and this turned out to be a heavier lift than expected, even when adapting other people's code to my own purposes.
My goal is to parse email body text information into individual cells for each email in a specific inbox. Luckily, the emails come through with the data I need in a consistent format delimited by colons, and with each data point on a different line in the received emails.

The largest issue I am having is that I can't seem to get the code to loop through all the emails in the box. My smaller issue is that "tournament time selection" isn't populating in excel, and "stream link" is only populating up to "HTTPS" since there's a colon in the web address and I'm telling VBA to delimit by Colons. I'm sure there's a way around this but after hours of research, I've yet to find it. The struggles of learning a new language I suppose :frusty:

The body of my emails come through consistently in the format pasted below:

NUMBER OF ENTRANTS: XXX
TOUNAMENT TIME SELECTION: 7-10P EST
BRACKET SELECT: XXX
TEAM NAME: XXX
STREAM LINK: https://twitch.tv/XXX
PLAYER 1 (ACTIVISION USERNAME #): XXX
PLAYER 2 (ACTIVISION USERNAME #): XXX
PLAYER 3 (ACTIVISION USERNAME #): XXX
PLAYER 4 (ACTIVISION USERNAME #): XXX

As of right now the VBA works for one single email, and populates successfully into excel by dropping data below where I have assigned cell names corresponding to the VBA code.

Below, is the current VBA I have struggled to cobble together:

Code:
Sub Extract()          

Dim outlookapp As outlook.Application
Dim outlooknamespace As Namespace
Dim folder As MAPIFolder
Dim outlookmail As Variant
Dim i As Integer

Set outlookapp = New outlook.Application
Set outlooknamespace = outlookapp.GetNamespace("MAPI")
Set folder = outlooknamespace.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).Folders("Registrations")

i = 1

For Each outlookmail In folder.Items            

Dim X10BJ As Worksheet
        Dim msgtext As String
        Dim msgline() As String
        Dim messagearray() As String
        Dim MyValue As String

Set xlobj = Sheets("sheet1")

msgtext = outlookmail.Body
        messagearray = split(msgtext, vbCrLf)

i = 1

For j = 0 To UBound(messagearray)

msgline = split(messagearray(j) & ":", ":")

Select Case Left(msgline(0), 8)         

Case "NUMBER O"                     
                    Range("Number_of_Entrants").Offset(i, 0).Value = Trim(msgline(1))

Case "TOURNAME"
                    Range("Tournament_Time_Selection").Offset(i, 0).Value = Trim(msgline(1))

Case "BRACKET "
                    Range("Bracket_Select").Offset(i, 0).Value = Trim(msgline(1))

Case "TEAM NAM"
                    Range("Team_Name1").Offset(i, 0).Value = Trim(msgline(1))

Case "STREAM L"
                    Range("Stream_Link1").Offset(i, 0).Value = Trim(msgline(1))

Case "PLAYER 1"
                    Range("Activision_Name_1").Offset(i, 0).Value = Trim(msgline(1))

Case "PLAYER 2"
                    Range("Activision_Name_2").Offset(i, 0).Value = Trim(msgline(1))

Case "PLAYER 3"
                    Range("Activision_Name_3").Offset(i, 0).Value = Trim(msgline(1))

Case "PLAYER 4"
                    Range("Activision_Name_4").Offset(i, 0).Value = Trim(msgline(1))

i = i + 1

End Select

Next

Next outlookmail       

Set folder = Nothing
Set outlooknamespace = Nothing
Set outlookapp = Nothing

End Sub

Any advice on correcting my looping issue or getting my two missing fields to populate would be immensely appreciated. I'm trying to avoid paying a hefty sum for a parsing service for a small business a couple close friends and I are trying to get off the ground. Further, advice on how I may be able to accomplish this more cleanly would also be appreciated. I'm sure since this is excel, there has to be more than one way to deal with this task efficiently.

Let me know if there is anything at all I can explain further/more clearly, or if there is additional information I can provide to help you help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back