Novice wanting to create a spreadsheet

Mdenny

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
I manage rooms in a building where we rent for events. I would like to create a spreadsheet that will allow me to post deposits that are collected for rooms as well as the rental fees for that event. I want the spreadsheet to highlight or somehow standout when a deposit has not been refunded. Also I would like it to total the money received from each customer. Sometimes the event is cancelled and we do a refund so I also want to be able post all money that comes in and all money that is returned to that customer. I don’t need to separate by rooms or anything like that. Nothing fancy just a total by customer with the date or dates paid and whether the deposit was refunded. Any help would certainly be appreciated! Something maybe like a ledger entry, etc? I’m not very creative lol.

In my opinion, this is a help forum, not a "do this for me" forum. For that you need to get a professional that you pay.
Having said that, although your excuse is that you are not very creative, you should make a sheet with a before and after with explanations as why the after is the way it is and attach it.
It needs sufficient data for the helpers to see what you need, not just 2 rows.

Jolivanes how rude of you to ASSUME! Nowhere in my post did I say do this for me as you so indicated! This was my first post asking for HELP, I was looking for help! Now with that being said and shame on you for accusing me of doing something wrong!

I was hoping for someone to say something along the lines of yeah if you can use a vba that will calculate the running total for example.

I wanted to know what kinda of vba to look for so I could start a sheet. If I could have created it myself to post a before and after with explanations I wouldn’t have asked for help here, see my point?

Now maybe next time if you have nothing nice to say, you might just keep closed and pass on by. That’s my advice for you. I was excited to see what insight someone might have when I was notified of a reply, However, your input was very degrading and simply a waste of my time.

Last edited:
Firstly, it would be helpful if you could mock up something that shows the different views of your data you want to achieve - this can be very simplistic at this stage. As a starting point, have a look at the various templates that Excel offers and see if one is close to what you want. There are so many ways to do this sort of thing, it's quite hard to suggest the right format unless you are just a little bit more specific, however from what you have said, I don't immediately see the need for VBA.

Your opening post does read rather more like a brief than a call for help, which is probably why you got the response you did, so have a go at mocking something up and we can take it from there. Don't worry about your lack of creativity: something to work with is better than nothing. :)

How do I attach the sheet I have? That is if it doesn't attach to this. Hopefully it will. I never wanted anyone to do the whole sheet for me, just needed ideas on how to make it work correctly.

Attachments

• Room Rentals.xlsx
    14.1 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for the workbook - good start.

I want the spreadsheet to highlight or somehow standout when a deposit has not been refunded.

For this, you could use conditional formatting to shade in the cells in column L that contain a date - is this the sort of thing you mean?

Also I would like it to total the money received from each customer.

Each customer for each event, or altogether? How do you want this to look? Where do you want it to appear? You could turn the grid into a proper table, add a subtotal line and then simply filter by customer and/or event to see these details, if that would suit you.

Thanks for the workbook - good start.

For this, you could use conditional formatting to shade in the cells in column L that contain a date - is this the sort of thing you mean?
I tried to use conditional formatting =ADD($D2<1, $L2""), no luck with this. I would like it to highlight the who row if at all possible. Any suggestions?

Each customer for each event, or altogether? How do you want this to look? Where do you want it to appear? You could turn the grid into a proper table, add a subtotal line and then simply filter by customer and/or event to see these details, if that would suit you.
Each event will be the same customer. If I turn the grid to a table would that be easier? I know how to do the table and am familiar with how it changes. I just wanted something that would be easier than doing everything in my paper binder. LOL

Thank you so very much for helping me! I appreciate it more than you know! :)

See if the attached helps. Let me know if you need anything in there explaining, but I made a table, added a totals line and set the conditional formatting.

Attachments

• Room Rentals AliGW.xlsx
    12.8 KB · Views: 10
Using an Excel table eliminates the need of having blank records with formulas showing $0.00 or data validation down more than 1,000,000 rows as Excel tables will extend formulas, formatting and data validation as the table expands.

Here's a site with good table info.
I suggest putting a (form control) command button on the first row of the sheet so a simple click will add a new row to the table ready for the next record.

Thank you! i am going to try it out! I appreciate all your help!

Back