Formula to sort multiple columns low to high?

excelnot

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Is it possible to sort multiple columns using a formula?
In the attached example file there are 24 columns that need to be sorted (or 'ordered') from low to high.
The smaller table shows columns D,E,F that I've sorted manually, one by one, using Excel's standard A-Z method.
But I can't use that method to sort the entire 24 column table, let alone the 100 column table that comprises my actual database.
Advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Denise.
l
View attachment Cols Hi-to-low.xlsx

You can use the SORT function to accomplish this. I have reattached your workbook to show how it works.

Attachments

• Cols Hi-to-low.xlsx
    11.7 KB · Views: 9
hbgurley, thanks very much, excellent formula!
Just one thing: I need to sort the columns with the lowest values at the top. I did say that in my op but I probably confused you by naming the file 'Cols Hi-to-Low' instead of 'Low-to-High. My bad:sorry:

Here you go!

Attachments

• Cols Hi-to-low.xlsx
    11.6 KB · Views: 15
hbgurley, you're a gem!
Thanks so much :)
Denise

Ooops! Sorry, hbgurley, but I'm having trouble applying the formula to a fresh table.
I can see the formula OK, and copy it to the formula bar, but something goes haywire when I try to activate it.
If it's not too much trouble, I'd be very grateful if you could explain, step by step, how I can duplicate and apply the formula to a similar table to the original example.

Can you attach the updated sheet where the formula is not working? I am happy to explain it, just need to understand what is going wrong to keep it from happening in the future.

Hi again, sorry to be so dim!
I don't think there's anything wrong with your formula - I just can't see how you've applied it.
If you look at the second xlsx file you posted, the original table occupies D4:AA10. (I hope I've got that right :))
And the converted table takes up D12:AA18.
Now, I can see that the original table has no formulas attached to each cell, and that the converted table has formulas attached to each cell.
But - the BIG but - I don't see how or where you applied the formulas to result in the nicely sorted second table.
Does that make sense?
I mean, do you see where I'm going wrong?
Maybe I'm writing the formula in the wrong cell. I assume you then drag it down so it applies to all rows?
Thanks again for your help, it's invaluable :)

Oh I see. I only applied the formula in cell D12 and dragged it across to AA12, and then the sorted values populated below in each column. I believe this is a new feature from Excel 2019 or Office 365. Does that make sense?

Thanks, I understand now. I'll try it when I get home. I'm only using Excel 2007, so I'll cross fingers that it works!
Much appreciated,
Denise :)

hi excelnot

Check if this way meets your needs, for all versions of Excel

Decio

Attachments

• Cols Hi-to-low Decio.xlsx
    11.2 KB · Views: 3
Back