I have a column of data in a query that looks like

Test Setting at 90 degrees

and I would like to convert it to

The only way I could figure out was to Replace "Test" with " Test" and then split the column based on position, do some other manipulations to get null values, and then use fill down - I'm hoping there is a simpler way!

Thanks so much,
Bernie Deitrick

Conditional column - pull across just the text that starts with test - fill down - delete original column.

Thanks - that works with one string, but if I have multiple string values as headers, is there a function that can identify any string compared to numbers, rather than looking as specific text?

Provide some sample data - attach a workbook.

You may be able to use this:

Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type any}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if Value.Is(Value.FromText([Column1]), type number) then null else [Column1]),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Custom",{"Custom"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filled Down",{"Column1"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

I want to convert Table1 into Table2.

Attachments

• Post example file.xlsx
    11.6 KB · Views: 13
Ali,

Your line:

Code:
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if Value.Is(Value.FromText([Column1]), type number) then null else [Column1]),

worked great, and I was able to do both of the columns as I needed.

My take on the situation
Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each if Text.StartsWith([Column2], "70") then [Column2] else null),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom.1", each if Text.Contains([Column1], "Data") then [Column1] else if Text.Contains([Column1], "data") then [Column1] else null),
    #"Filled Down1" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Conditional Column",{"Custom.1"}),
    #"Filled Up" = Table.FillUp(#"Filled Down1",{"Custom.1"}),
    #"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filled Up", each ([Column2] <> null)),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Filtered Rows1", each ([Column2] <> null)),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Filtered Rows",{"Custom"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Filled Down",{{"Custom.1", "Test Component"}, {"Custom", "Test"}}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{"Test", "Test Component", "Column1", "Column2"}),
    #"Filtered Rows2" = Table.SelectRows(#"Reordered Columns", each ([Column1] <> "Current Test")),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Filtered Rows2", List.Distinct(#"Filtered Rows2"[Column1]), "Column1", "Column2")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

That's a lot of M Code - is there a reason you decided to do it this way?

He's providing the full solution as per the OPs example.

Thanks, Bob - I was asking Alan. His wording suggested a different approach.

Alan - if Bob has answered correctly on your behalf, just ignore my question. ;)

Ali
I was intrigued by the question and had no original plan to post. It was for my own edification. Just decided to give it a step by step try and when it worked for me, then I decided to post. Afterall, people look at these forums for solutions and it may be useful to the masses and not just the OP. I like solving puzzles like Soduko and crosswords and look at this in a similar manner.

Alan

Thank you Alan - your take worked well and helped me better understand how to approach my actual data issues.

I don't know if this forum uses "reputation points" but if it did, I would be clicking for both you and AliGW.

Thanks again - I'm sure I'll be back ;)

Bernie

Back