Not being able to group date timestamps

dcwan

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Hello

I have a Power Query sample in which I am sorting and filtering out data before placing into a Pivot table. Most of the data have associated timestamps attached to it. More often than not, I am unable to "group" the timestamps into hours/days/months, etc. from a resulting power pivot table. I have tried removing all of the nulls, but is there something in the query that I need to do to always ensure that my timestamps can group?

I have tried all sorts of methods, including removing and adding again to deleting the worksheet and reloading the query into a new Power Pivot table and they have all ended with the same results.

I have attached a sample folder with my existing Power Query and a sample data set that I'm querying against.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• sample_folder.zip
    56.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hi and welcome
Please,do not crosspost your question on multiple forums without including links here to the other threads on other forums.

Cross-posting is when you post the same question in other forums on the web. The last thing you want to do is waste people's time working on an issue you have already resolved elsewhere. We prefer that you not cross-post at all, but if you do (and it's unlikely to go unnoticed), you MUST provide a link (copy the url from the address bar in your browser) to the cross-post.

Read this to understand why we ask you to do this, and then please edit your first post to include links to any and all cross-posts in any other forums (not just this site).
If you have fewer than 10 posts here, you will not be able to post a link, but you must still tell us where else you have asked the question

Do not post any further responses in this thread until a link has been provided to these cross posts.

Do as Pecoflyer suggests and I'll be able to help.

It's down to your load to… including the Data model check box. Untick that option, refresh and you'll be able to group as usual. (Actually, you might not be able to refresh so you'll have to rebuild the pivot table instead.)

Last edited:
Hello

I'm confused why unchecking the Data model checkbox would have an effect on the Pivot Table grouping.

1. Did it work? (It did here.)
2. I don't know either, but I suspect it's to do with the data model being closer to industry-standard forms of queries (SQL?) where I'd guess you can't group on a field where every record is distinct, whereas Excel's built-in pivot tables have probably got their own data engine which allows grouping on parts of a single field - but I don't really know what I'm talking about.

You'd be able to get a much more flexible grouping if you created some calculated fields in the Data model or in the Power Query query.

Just checked it out and the unchecking of the data model seemed to be working.

1. Did it work? (It did here.)
2. I don't know either, but I suspect it's to do with the data model being closer to industry-standard forms of queries (SQL?) where I'd guess you can't group on a field where every record is distinct, whereas Excel's built-in pivot tables have probably got their own data engine which allows grouping on parts of a single field - but I don't really know what I'm talking about.

You'd be able to get a much more flexible grouping if you created some calculated fields in the Data model or in the Power Query query.

Back