Excel Hangs when NOT connected to VPN

Kmano

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Good Day,
I have a persistent issue that myself not my IT group has been able to figure out.

I have Office Professional Plus 2016 working on Windows 10-64 bit. Currently when I open any excel work book, even one off my hard drive or a completely new work book, excel will freeze up for approximately 10 seconds every 30 seconds unless one of the following:
1. I am connected to my work VPN
2. I have all internet connections disabled
3. I am in safe mode

I'm not sure why excel is constantly trying to access something off my work server but once I connect to the VPN it works fine. Things I have tried:

1. Changing default printer to local printer
2. Deleting all server printers entirely
3. Disabling all add-ons
4. Deleting all add-on registry items
5. Running repair tool
6. Completely uninstalling and reinstalling Office Professional Plus 2016

Thinks I haven't tried:
Completely reformatting my entire computer (though I am close)

This doesn't happen with any other MS program (Word, Projects, Outlook etc), only excel. I have no real timeline on when this started but it has been over a year.

If anyone has any suggestions I am open to trying. Please let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks

Not certain this is an answer ... I haven't worked with a VPN.

Check the CONNECTIONS and LINKS from the Menu Bar. Is there something there that is causing Excel to look for your VPN ?

Hi Logit,
Thanks for the response.

I checked the connections and links and nothing apparent.

Capture.JPG

I have found a reference to onedrive when I go to save a document. Onedrive is one of our networking tools but normally works without a connection to the VPN. If anyone has advice on disabling this let me know.

Thanks

Back