Dynamic Dependant Dropdown Error

DeletedUser

Reaction score
Hi All,

First time poster, long time reader. I have been having an issue with a formula I am inputting into the data validation widget to create a dynamic dependant dropdown error. The formula is as follows:

=OFFSET(Setup[[#Headers],[Savings]],1,MATCH([@[Expense Category]],Setup[[#Headers],[Savings]:[Miscellaneous]],0)-1,COUNTA(OFFSET(Setup[[#Headers],[Savings]],1,MATCH([@[Expense Category]],Setup[[#Headers],[Savings]:[Miscellaneous]],0)-1,20,1)),1)

When the formula is put into the "Data Validation" widget, it returns the "There's a problem with this formula" error.

Normally this would make sense and indicate that there was an error with the formula, but when I put the formula directly into the cell to test it, I can see the results. Although, admittedly, the results return a "#VALUE!". However, when i select the formula in the cell and press F9, it returns the desired result.

I have attached both the workbook (the tab in question is "Expense Input" but it references the tab named "Setup".

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• F9 Results.jpg
    F9 Results.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Formula and Result.jpg
    Formula and Result.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Household_Budget_Upload.xlsx
    130.7 KB · Views: 3
Hi All,

For anyone with a similar problem, this issue has now been resolved. The problem was the reference to table ranges in my formula when using data validation.

Last edited:
Hi p45cal,
Thank you for informing me of the rules. I was aware of them, but you are absolutely right, I overlooked the links in the original post (on the other forums as well). My apologies for that. I will make sure that it does not happen again.

Back