How to create formula that will switch out information

Calgaryexcel

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
I'm trying to build a replace formula, but want the data to be pulled from a list that has two columns with 107 rows. The first column would have staff names, and the second would have staff community of residence. Essentially if a staff name is entered in a cell, I want the text to be replaced with the community associated with the staff.

Hi
please post a sample sheet with some data and expected results added manually. Thanks

So if a staff name were entered in Column A it would then switch it out to reflect the associated community of residence.

Attachments

• Name Example.xlsx
    11 KB · Views: 12
Show us manually what you want. It's not really clear what you mean by "switch it out".

You can't do that in standard Excel, but you could do it with VBA, or a sleight-of-hand with the camera tool.

So a formula that does this is =Substitute,INDEX(FIND,1),INDEX(REPLACE,1). The problem is that you can only nest max of 64 and I need 107+

Assuming the file uploaded. If you see in cell A2 I’ve entered “staff 2” which in reality would be the staffs name. Once that is typed it then needs to convert to the community beside their name in the list.

Attachments

• Name Example.xlsx.xls
    11 KB · Views: 14
Sorry that was an error on my end. So in column A you can see that I have entered various "staff names". When I do this it should then change the text to be the community in which the staff lives in.

Attachments

• Name Example.xlsx
    11 KB · Views: 10
I give up. :(

Excel 2016 (Windows) 32 bit
A
B
C
D
E
F
G