formula not copying from one worksheet to another

AndyDuncombe

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
I fear this is gonna be considered a really dumb question!

Attached roster I have to produce - the worksheet "DATA" contains the base roster information.

The shift options are listed in columns Y & Z.
The input value of B3 determines the outcome of B4 and B5 and is calculated by a nested IF formula.
This is copied throughout to populate the 4 week roster.

QUESTION 1 - when I attempt to copy the populated roster in "DATA" to the "ROSTER" worksheet it doesn't copy through the formulas so that if I change the input in ROSTER B3 the outcome of ROSTER B4 and B5 changes as it does in those cells in "DATA"

I've tried every PASTE SPECIAL option I can without success?

QUESTION 2 -
is there a simpler/tidier way to 'call' this data from columns Y & Z into the target cells in rows 4,7, 10 and 13?

... over to you gurus

Attachments

• ROSTER FOR EXCEL GURU HELP.xlsx
    39.8 KB · Views: 8
The first issue is using MERGED cells. MERGED cells are the bane of EXCEL. To put it mildly ... DO NO USE THEM EVER ! They create more errors than they are worth for the "visual enhancement" they provide.

You indicate you are attempting to copy from one cell/s to another cell/s. Where is the macro code you were using ?

1. The formulas you copied to the ROSTER worksheet are still looking for the data in columns Y and Z, but those columns didn't get copied over.

2. If you take the data in Columns Y and Z, and instead create a table, you can use an INDEX/MATCH formula instead of the multiple IFs. Bonus is that when you copy from DATA to a new worksheet the formulas will work.

And instead of merging cells, you can use the "Center Across Selection" horizontal alignment option instead

Attachments

• ROSTER WITH INDEX MATCH.xlsx
    54.4 KB · Views: 10
Back