Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Would someone please advise on a newbies code?

Articles
    Excel Version

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Phillips View Post
    Another day, another session on this bl##dy expenses form .
    I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to put it all on you. I was trying but am just too new, I guess. Too many things I don't understand and things that I wasn't getting help on no matter how much research I performed. I'm not sure if you noticed the date on the last file that I sent you with the coding formulas, but I have been working on this for a year now.

I have got the form writing the meal allowance values, and the Go button code writes to ExpenseCodeSummary now. I want to test a bit more after I have ejoyed some of this lovely late spring weather over here.
    Of course!! Please don't let this form keep you from your 'off time' fun! I wouldn't want that!

I have a couple of questions for you:

- I have assumed that mileage, meals, lodging, and other expenses all write separate rows to ExpenseCodeSummary, your code overwrote each in turn. That seems obvious to me, but one thing is not so obvious. I have a row that has no lodging amount as it was a return journey, and I am writing a row to ExpenseCodeSummary with a zero amount. I can see logic in writing all expense codes even if zero, but I can also see that maybe they should not be written. What is your policy?

I thought the 'offset' was moving it down for each? Maybe that is the piece that I was missing. On the 'codes' spreadsheet there is a value that it should be looking at to know where to place the coding. No, if there is a zero value in one of the amount ranges, the value should not move to the Expense Code Processing spreadsheet. Only positive values and their project code and expense code should move to that sheet.

- you test the lodging value for 12. What is the significance of that?

There is a different expense code for lodging values of 12. If the traveler does not get a receipt, or if they stay at a family members house, which occasionally happens, then they can claim $12 for that night. When $12 is entered, that is what should determine the expense code for the reimbursement.

- how to you record overnight stays? If they depart at say 10:00 am and arrive back at 8:00 am the next day, the time checks will be all to pot.

When someone travels overnight, they are to report only until 11:59 p.m. that night. The next day begins a new day of travel and that would then start at 12:00 a.m. until they arrive back at their work location or home. They should never report two days travel in one.

I hope this helps. I can't wait to see what you do so I can learn this. I really do love to learn and am wanting to learn how to do other forms that we use. However, I can guarantee that they won't be nearly as difficult as this one!
    Last edited by Bob Phillips; 2020-05-26 at 02:17 PM.

Articles
    Excel Version
    O365
    Here is what I have got so far.

It is quite a bit different from yours, so give it a good airing. Check the meal eligibility works correctly, check it writes the correct meal amount, check it writes the corrrect expense codes.

I have locked the whole claim sheet apart from the user details, they cannot change any apart from that. I have removed all of the helper calculations in V:AM, all done by code now.

Enjoy, let me know how it goes.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bob Phillips; 2020-05-26 at 07:40 PM.

Articles
    Excel Version
    O365
    BTW, didI read that right, you have a company aircraft?

Articles
    Excel Version
    BTW, didI read that right, you have a company aircraft?

It's actually state, but I removed all references to state because of privacy. LOL But yes, we do have a couple of helicopters, and I believe one other aircraft, but I am not sure what kind.

Articles
    Excel Version
    Quote Originally Posted by KristenB View Post
    It's actually state, but I removed all references to state because of privacy. LOL But yes, we do have a couple of helicopters, and I believe one other aircraft, but I am not sure what kind.
    Did I upset you? Please know that while we have a couple of aircraft, they are required for the business that we do. We don't have like any commercial jets or anything that we fly around in.

Articles
    Excel Version
    O365
    No! Whatever makes you think that?

Articles
    Excel Version
    I just hadn't heard anything and was afraid that you were mad at me and weren't going to help me anymore. LOL Consider me a little paranoid?

Articles
    Excel Version
    O365
    I posted my workbook in post #32, the one before I asked about the aircraft. Check it out.

I mentioned the aircraft because of somethging you said earlier, thinking that you worked for a company that wouldn't provide budget for some work to be done, but pays to run aircaraft (presumably for the top execs)!

Articles
    Excel Version
    OMG! I totally missed where you posted it! I'm so sorry!

I hear you.. that would upset me too. But we do not have aircraft for jetting around in, if we did, I would totally tell them to make the best ever and pay for it. However, to be honest, I enjoy learning new things and this was something that I really felt I would be able to do that would help staff on their travel documents. I can't wait to look it over and try it tonight. I have a little more work to do before I can but I plan on playing for a bit with it! Thank you so much. I will post back tomorrow and let you know how it works.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4