Excel Refresh All Stopped Working

glennm0270

Reaction score
Website
www.glennmillerconsulting.com
Excel Version(s)
Win: 1803, Mac: 16.17 (180909)
Sometime in the last week or so, the Data / Refresh All action stopped working in Excel on one of my Windows machines. I click Data / Refresh All (or Data / Refresh All / Refresh All) and nothing happens. Used to be that I got the message about background queries running, then all the data tables refreshed. If I had the Connections sidebar open, I could see the tables updating.

Now, all of a sudden, nothing happens when I click it. I can go through the queries and do Refresh one at a time, and they work fine. Wondering if a recent Office update may have messed up something? I'm on monthly channel and auto-update. On the other hand, I have Office installed on another machine, and Data / Refresh All continues to work just fine.

Appreciate any suggestions for how I might dig into this and correct.

Okay, I finally found the answer. I had to install MySQL Workbench recently. It installed the MySQL Excel Add-In (I didn't remember asking for that, but I may have...or may not). Turns out that breaks the Data / Refresh All. I uninstalled that add-in, and things are working great now.

Or maybe you may check Connection Properties.

Data > Connection Properties > Tick "Refresh this connection on Refresh All"

Or maybe you may check Connection Properties.

Data > Connection Properties > Tick "Refresh this connection on Refresh All"

Appreciate the suggestion, but that was the first thing I checked :) There are about a dozen queries in the first workbook that stopped working, and about a dozen other workbooks with multiple queries in each of them. They all had been working for over a year and all suddenly stopped at the same time, so that was another hint that it wasn't a setting on one of the queries.

Thanks again for the tip though--it was definitely the right place to start!

Back