How to combine List in power query into text (1000 at a time)

awoods8005

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Office 365 Excel
I am looking to convert a List in Power Query into a text string but divide it up by every 1000 items.
The List is a list of ID numbers that I am sending back to Oracle database, which has a 1000 item limit in the WHERE clause. Creating a temp table in Oracle is not an option.

So far, this is what I have.

let
Source = IDLIST,
IDLISTV2= "'"&Text.Combine(List.Distinct(Source[ID]),"','")&"'"
in
IDLISTV2

This returns all of the values of the list in one big text string, which is helpful, but wont work for what I am doing.

Assuming I had 3046 ID numbers, it would return
'ID1', 'ID2', ....., 'ID3045', 'ID3046'

I am looking for it to return
'ID1', 'ID2', .....'ID999', 'ID1000'
AND 'ID1001', 'ID1002',.....
AND ..... 'ID3045', 'ID3046'

It is essentially the same, but divided by every 1000. There needs to be a word or divider between every 1000 for Oracle to read it properly.
I thought about using some sort of loop command or maybe a mod function but dont have enough M or Power Query knowledge to know if they are viable options.

I have only been using M/Power Query in Excel for a couple of weeks now. I am very new to it and welcome any and all feedback.
If anyone knows anything that could help with this please let me know.
Thanks!

I used two M-functions: you have to exchange the red values as you need
getSingleString: 10 --> 1000
GetString: 100 --> ?

Code:
// getSingleString(i) =>
let
  sID = "'ID" & Text.From(i) & "'",
  result =  if Number.Mod(i,[COLOR=#ff0000]10[/COLOR]) = 0 then "AND " & sID else sID
in
  result

// GetString
let
    Source = List.Generate(
      ()=>[i=1, s=getSingleString(i)],
      each [i] < [COLOR=#ff0000]100[/COLOR],  
      each[i=[i]+1, s=getSingleString(i)],
      each [s]),
    Result = Text.Combine(Source, ",")
in
    Result
cheers, hope this helps

Another approach. Break the list into groups of 1000 then concatenate the IDs in the resulting tables. My Table1 is a single column with the IDs

Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", type text}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 0, 1),
    #"Integer-Divided Column" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Index", {{"Index", each Number.IntegerDivide(_, 1000), Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows1" = Table.Group(#"Integer-Divided Column", {"Index"}, {{"Grouped", each _, type table [ID=text, Index=number]}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows1", "Custom", each List.Accumulate(Table.Column([Grouped],"ID"),"",(state, current)=> state & "," & current)),
    #"Extracted Text After Delimiter" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Custom", {{"Custom", each Text.AfterDelimiter(_, ","), type text}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Extracted Text After Delimiter", "IDs", each if [Index]= 0 then [Custom] else "AND " & [Custom]),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Custom1",{"IDs"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns"

Norm

Thank you both for your input. In my effort to simplify my example, I misled you in the format of my ID numbers. They are random alphanumeric IDs with no numerical pattern.
However I was able to remedy a working solution. It is a variation of the code that Norm posted above.

Thanks again for your help and if anyone reading this has a similar problem feel free to post below.

[Practising on old threads]
There are also the Table.Split and List.Split functions:
Code:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content][ID],
    tbl = Table.FromList(List.Split(Source,1000), Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    Result = Table.SelectColumns(Table.AddColumn(tbl, "Split List", each "'" & Text.Combine([Column1],"','") & "'"),{"Split List"})
in
    Result

Last edited:
Back