Solved The "Formula.Firewall" error message is driving me crazy

pinarello

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Office 365
Hello,

the "Formula.Firewall" error message is driving me crazy. And I think I'm going to do it exactly as Ken recommends.

First I load stock and save the result as a connection. Then I load deliveries and save them as a connection. Next I merge these two connections and save them as a connection again, just to be on the safe side. And in the last query I load this connection to perform dynamic calculations using parameters.

But if I now insert a calculation step with reference to a parameter, the message appears: Formula Firewall: Query 'Deliveries_and_Inventory' (step 'Added Custom') references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source. Please rebuild this data combination.

Only if I import the parameters and assign table fields with the first query, I can access these table fields in the following queries and perform dynamic calculations.

But is this the only possibility, or am I doing the previous steps wrong?

My great hope is that I'm just too stupid to do it right, but that my eyes can be opened to how to do it right.

Attachments

• xlguru - problem firewall.xlsx
    42.1 KB · Views: 13
Hi Pinarello,

What I did was separate all the fx_x queries in that final query out into separate queries of their own. Because your master fx query was pulling from an Excel workbook, it was still seen as a different data source within the master query. This works though, and avoids the formula firewall.

Attachments

• xlguru - solution firewall.xlsx
    54.4 KB · Views: 30
Hello, Ken,

not continuously, but I spent 3 days trying to solve the problem. And now I must see that the solution is simple. In all my attempts, it never occurred to me to try it this way.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me. I'd like to return the favor and help you once in a while, but since I will probably never reach your level, it will probably never come to that.

But I wish you all here a healthy future.

Back