Cannot install Monkey Tools

blameitonbob

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
I received an error trying to install the two week trial of Monkey Tools. The text reads "Your administrator has blocked this application because it potentially poses a security risk to your computer." See the attached document.

I am a domain administrator and the administrator for my computer. However, I don't know whether this message is coming form a group policy or some other source. Has anyone seen this and been able to solve the problem?

Bob Taylor
Seattle

Attachments

• Installing Monkey Tools.docx
    34 KB · Views: 6
Hi Bob,

This one is a super frustrating one to us as developers. We have done everything we can to avoid this, but there is a policy set on your computer to block installation of software from the internet. It's intended to prevent bad actors from installing from the web. The only method we have to combat this is to purchase and apply a digital certificate to our software (which we've done) so that you can verify we are who we say we are. Unfortunately, it appears that this is not enough to "trust" our installer.

The good news is that it is possible to remove this block (temporarily or permanently). The steps to resolve it are shown in Chapter 15 of the Installation and Feature guide:

Monkey Tools Install Guide said:
It is possible that you’ll receive an error attempting to install Monkey Tools from the web URL. Should this happen it may be because you have a policy in place that blocks installing software from the internet.
To enable installation:

• Press the Windows key on your keyboard
• Type RegEdit and open the Registry Editor
• Browse to:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\.NETFramework\Security\Trus tManager\PromptingLevel\Internet
• Change the key to Enabled instead of Disabled
• Close the Registry Editor

Monkey Tools should now install from the web link without issue.

Once Monkey Tools is installed, this setting can be changed back to the default.

I hope this helps,

Actually... I may need to qualify this, as I'm not sure this is actually true:

Ken Puls said:
Once Monkey Tools is installed, this setting can be changed back to the default.

The more I think about it, setting this back to Disabled will block us the next time we attempt to update your software with new features. I wish there was a model where you could trust installers from specific sites!

The really interesting part of this is that we don't know the rules for when this key gets set. I'm in a standard Windows Pro environment - installed from a DVD without IT intervention. The key that prevents our software from loading doesn't exist. I know people in big corps that also don't have this key. I also know big corps that do, as well as installs conducted in the same fashion as I've done who have this key set. There seems to be little predictability of when it will be present, or not.

I installed the free version and it worked until I got a message indicating there was an update available. Now the addin refuses to load with following Load Behavior: Not loaded. A runtime error accurred during the loading of the COM Add-in. Is that because the free version stops working or because the update went wrong?

Great question PiAl, and definitely not the intended experience.

Would you be able to send us an email via the Contact Form so that we can connect and figure out what's going on?

Back