Merge, match numbers as text - returns only on some numbers

michgork

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
hi,

I have a column with numbers formatted as text, and another column also with numbers as text and i try to merge with another table using those two as my match criteria. The result is that only some of the numbers are matched even tho they are present in both tables. I've trimmed them.. still i get "null" back on only some matches. What puzzles me is that i do get alot of proper results, just not on all of them and i cannot figure out what sets thoses numbers apart from the others..

Without being able to see your data it's difficult to tell, but one possibility is that some of the numbers are numbers & some are text.
Can you supply a sample workbook?

Without being able to see your data it's difficult to tell, but one possibility is that some of the numbers are numbers & some are text.
Can you supply a sample workbook?
I know.. but i did change data type on both tables and some of the numbers did match, i did get something else than null... but on some specific numbers i got null.

so i ended up trying to just load one table into a sheettable, create a new excel file, import the table there and the lookuptable and there was no "null"'s in the result column this time.. i left it at that.

Are you going to share the workbook, or are you happy now?

Recreating a workbook i can share might be too timeconsuming atm, i'll continue work in the new workbook that seems to work as intended :)

Back