Excel Loosing External Source Links, Have to Relink Every Time it Opens

Ruth2002

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Excel 365
I have two Excel files (Microsoft 365)that were communicating fine one day and then the next day, it prompts me to update links. Other files have also stopped updating links. I also tried on a different computer (still 365) and get the same message.
I update the links and open the source file and it works fine. I close it and go back in and it prompts me to relink the links again.
I've selected "Don't display the alert and update links" under the Startup Prompt

link 1.JPG
Under Trust Center I Selected "Enable all Data Connections and "Enable automatic update for all Workbook Links" and "Enable all Linked Data Types".
link 2.JPG
I also went into Advanced under Options and selected "Update links to other documents" and deselected "Ask to update automatic links".
link 3.JPG
I do not know what else to do. It was working fine one day and not the next. As far as I know, there were no updates.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have two Excel files (Microsoft 365)that were communicating fine one day and then the next day, it prompts me to update links. Other files have also stopped updating links. I also tried on a different computer (still 365) and get the same message.
I update the links and open the source file and it works fine. I close it and go back in and it prompts me to relink the links again.
I've selected "Don't display the alert and update links" under the Startup Prompt

Have either of the files moved from their original location? Sometimes this impacts the original files even after you update.

Have either of the files moved from their original location? Sometimes this impacts the original files even after you update.

No, neither one has been moved. It works fine at first, but I go into then later and it happens.

Is this over a network? If so, wired or wireless? If the latter, could be due to drop-outs.

No they are both on my hard drive.

It appears this hasn't been resolved? Have you opened the links to find out why/were they are breaking?

It appears this hasn't been resolved? Have you opened the links to find out why/were they are breaking?

What do you mean opening the links? I've opened the source spreadsheet and it still doesn't link. I do not know what references the spreadsheet is having problems with links. When I first designed it, it worked fine but a week or so later I went in and it just keeps giving me the error, even though I've supposedly turned it off in multiple places.

Yes, when the Edit Links box opens up I tell it to "Open Source" and then it says connected. And I've set the Startup Prompt to "Don't Display the alert and update links". The spreadsheets then work fine but when I close them and open them back up, I get the same error message again.

Yes, when the Edit Links box opens up I tell it to "Open Source" and then it says connected. And I've set the Startup Prompt to "Don't Display the alert and update links". The spreadsheets then work fine but when I close them and open them back up, I get the same error message again.

Have you check to see if it is the same link that is causing the message or does it change to a different location?

Back