Thread: Excel Loosing External Source Links, Have to Relink Every Time it Opens

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 365

Excel Loosing External Source Links, Have to Relink Every Time it Opens

I have two Excel files (Microsoft 365)that were communicating fine one day and then the next day, it prompts me to update links. Other files have also stopped updating links. I also tried on a different computer (still 365) and get the same message.
    I update the links and open the source file and it works fine. I close it and go back in and it prompts me to relink the links again.
    I've selected "Don't display the alert and update links" under the Startup Prompt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	link 1.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	9551
    Under Trust Center I Selected "Enable all Data Connections and "Enable automatic update for all Workbook Links" and "Enable all Linked Data Types".

Name:	link 2.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	9552
    I also went into Advanced under Options and selected "Update links to other documents" and deselected "Ask to update automatic links".

Name:	link 3.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	9553
    I do not know what else to do. It was working fine one day and not the next. As far as I know, there were no updates.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have two Excel files (Microsoft 365)that were communicating fine one day and then the next day, it prompts me to update links. Other files have also stopped updating links. I also tried on a different computer (still 365) and get the same message.
    I update the links and open the source file and it works fine. I close it and go back in and it prompts me to relink the links again.
    I've selected "Don't display the alert and update links" under the Startup Prompt

Articles
    Excel Version
    Have either of the files moved from their original location? Sometimes this impacts the original files even after you update.

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 365
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjglover@gmail.com View Post
    Have either of the files moved from their original location? Sometimes this impacts the original files even after you update.

No, neither one has been moved. It works fine at first, but I go into then later and it happens.

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365 Subscription
    Is this over a network? If so, wired or wireless? If the latter, could be due to drop-outs.
    Ali
    Enthusiastic self-taught user of MS Excel!

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 365
    No they are both on my hard drive.

Articles
    Excel Version
    It appears this hasn't been resolved? Have you opened the links to find out why/were they are breaking?

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 365
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjglover@gmail.com View Post
    It appears this hasn't been resolved? Have you opened the links to find out why/were they are breaking?
    What do you mean opening the links? I've opened the source spreadsheet and it still doesn't link. I do not know what references the spreadsheet is having problems with links. When I first designed it, it worked fine but a week or so later I went in and it just keeps giving me the error, even though I've supposedly turned it off in multiple places.

Articles
    Excel Version
    Did you follow the natural steps of identifying where the link was broken and manually fix them? See attached for an exampleExample.docx

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 365
    Yes, when the Edit Links box opens up I tell it to "Open Source" and then it says connected. And I've set the Startup Prompt to "Don't Display the alert and update links". The spreadsheets then work fine but when I close them and open them back up, I get the same error message again.

Articles
    Excel Version
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth2002 View Post
    Yes, when the Edit Links box opens up I tell it to "Open Source" and then it says connected. And I've set the Startup Prompt to "Don't Display the alert and update links". The spreadsheets then work fine but when I close them and open them back up, I get the same error message again.
    Have you check to see if it is the same link that is causing the message or does it change to a different location?