Counting

RidinFearless

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Office2016
I am a novice. I need to count the number cells in a rage that contain text. That text will appear in the cell based on a formula in the cell. When a selection is made, that selection will appear in my range. I would like to count the cells after all selections are made. It seems that anytime I try to use one of the several COUNT functions, it counts blank cells (before selections are made) because it already contains a formula.

Can you give an example of the data and what result ou expect?

ChoicesPick
A or B
C or D
E or F
G or H
I or J
K or L
I will be sending this to several people.
They will make their choices in the Column 1 (Choices) using drop down menu for each choice.
Those choices will show up in the cells in Column 2 (Picks) due to formulas in each cell in Column 2.
I would like to count the cells in the Column 2 (Picks) - either if they do or don’t contain text.
I am trying to confirm that each person has made a selection for each row in Column 1.
When I try to count “blanks” in Column 2, it is recognizing that each cell contains a formula, and there are no “blanks”.

I hope this helps explain my dilemma, as I said I am not real experienced. Thanks for trying to help.

=sumproduct(--(len(b2:b20)>0))

Thanks for the help.

I found a way to solve my issue.

I used nested if’s to return a value in a another cell and then counted those values to make sure no one skipped a choice.

Back