Power Query 64/32 bit M commands not compatible?!

tlh

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Office 365
Recently switched from 32bit to 64bit Excel 2016 (Office 365 Enterprise version) and now am discovering that there are compatibility issues in my queries. The three that cropped up right away were the two below. I've solved the first one from info contained here https://social.technet.microsoft.co...query-versions-in-excel-2016?forum=powerquery, but haven't solved the others

Are there any resources out there outlining the code differences between the two versions? Does this also mean that my 64 bit created queries will not work with my co-workers 32 bit versions?

"Expression.Error: 2 arguments were passed to a function which expects 1."
"Expression.Error: The Csv.Document parameter 'Columns' is invalid."
"The name 'Percentage.Type' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly."

Just to clarify...

You've moved from 32 bit Office 2016 to 64 bit Office 2016, is that correct?

Your issue doesn't have anything to do with 32 vs 64 bit, but rather that your 32 bit install had been updated to the latest Power Query version, and your 64 bit install is running the original (old and buggy) build of Power Query.

The best thing to do here is actually get your Office version updated. To do that, go to Windows -> Windows Update -> Advanced Options. Make sure the box for "get updates for other Microsoft Products when I update Windows" is checked. And then do a Windows Update. That should bring you up to the current version of Power Query and solve all of your issues.

If you can't do this (lean on IT, because they should have set it up that way to begin with), you would need to:

-Find the step that throws the error for Csv.Document and in the formula bar delete the part that goes , Columns = x
-Find the step that throws the error for Percentage.Type and change it to Number.Type (I think that should work to resolve it)

HTH,

Thanks Ken for the info. I will update now.

FYI my current version of PowerQuery is 2.24.4065.1401

Oh yeah, that's REALLY old. You won't even have the newer Combine Files experience, and are probably missing Column From Examples as well as other features. To put things in perspective, on Office 365 Insider channel, I'm on version 2.77.x. (You won't get that high, but you really want to be at least 2.40.x)

I'd be curious what build you get to after an update...

Back