Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Creating a Parent Child 'Path' for a Bill Of Material

Articles
    Excel Version

Creating a Parent Child 'Path' for a Bill Of Material

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

Hi All,

I'm currently trying to figure out a way to replicate a formula I utilize in Excel into Power Query to show the parent path against a child (Part Number) item. It does work well, however when the table reaches a large number of rows 10,000+ it slows down to a point where its just unstable!.
    I know that within DAX there is a 'PATH' function, however it requires no duplications within the child (Part Number) and this data will always have duplications, as parts can be used on multiple parents.

I've attached a sample table with the formula that is currently used. I've pasted the formula as values from row 4 onwards.

Example Formula

cell C3 - =IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/($A$2:A3=(A3-1)),$B$2:B3)," ")
    cell D3 - =IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/($A$2:A3=(A3-1)),$C$2:C3)," ")
    and so on...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	9314

Please Help!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	9313  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365 Subscription
    No idea - sorry!

Are we looking at a before or an after here? If after, where is the data coming from? If before, what are the rules (explain in WORDS)?

PowerQuery is essentially a data transformation tool ...
    Ali
    Enthusiastic self-taught user of MS Excel!

Articles
    Excel Version
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture3.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	9315

This is the initial data (Starting Point) Just the Hierarchy (Level) and Part Number.

And yes I get what Power Query is (and I'm using it everyday to great effect!) and I know it would do this particular task very well...….its just How?!

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365 Subscription
    Are you suggesting that I don't use PowerQuery to great effect?

I'll have another look and see if I can understand your logic.
    Ali

Articles
    Excel Version
    I'm sure you're very talented in the Power Query ways (I've lots to learn, and this site (and wonderful people like you!) are a great source!)

I can have a go at scribbling on the image if required, but basically I want a path of all the used on's (parents) for a given part based on the hierarchy within column A....im an Engineer sorry !

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365 Subscription
    I can't think of a way in PQ ... Yet!

However, here's an all-in-one formula for you (no need to change it for individual columns):

=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2,1/($A$1:$A1=$A2-COLUMNS($A$1:A1)),$B$1:$B1),"")

Paste it into C2 and simply copy across and down. I am fairly sure it replicates what you have done.
    Ali

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365 Pro Plus 1708.8431.
    ENT_CHILD_PATH.xlsx

There is probably a recursive way to do this, but my efforts were generating buffer overflow
    This is set up for nine potential levels / columns but you could add a few more rows in A/B fashion to extend for more potential levels

Code:
    let
        Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table3"]}[Content],
        #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(Source, "Index", 0, 1),
        #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Added Index",{{"Level", Order.Ascending}, {"Index", Order.Ascending}}),
        #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "v1", (z) => Table.Last(Table.SelectRows(#"Sorted Rows",each z [Index]> [Index] and z [Level]= [Level]+1))),
        #"Expanded1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Added Custom1", "v1", {"Part Number"}, {"Parent-1"}),

#"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded1", "v2", (z) => Table.Last(Table.SelectRows(#"Sorted Rows",each z [Index]> [Index] and z [Level]= [Level]+2))),
        #"Expanded2" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Added Custom2", "v2", {"Part Number"}, {"Parent-2"}),

#"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded2", "v3", (z) => Table.Last(Table.SelectRows(#"Sorted Rows",each z [Index]> [Index] and z [Level]= [Level]+3))),
        #"Expanded3" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Added Custom3", "v3", {"Part Number"}, {"Parent-3"}),

#"Added Custom4" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded3", "v4", (z) => Table.Last(Table.SelectRows(#"Sorted Rows",each z [Index]> [Index] and z [Level]= [Level]+4))),
        #"Expanded4" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Added Custom4", "v4", {"Part Number"}, {"Parent-4"}),

#"Added Custom5" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded4", "v5", (z) => Table.Last(Table.SelectRows(#"Sorted Rows",each z [Index]> [Index] and z [Level]= [Level]+5))),
        #"Expanded5" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Added Custom5", "v5", {"Part Number"}, {"Parent-5"}),

#"Added Custom6" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded5", "v6", (z) => Table.Last(Table.SelectRows(#"Sorted Rows",each z [Index]> [Index] and z [Level]= [Level]+6))),
        #"Expanded6" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Added Custom6", "v6", {"Part Number"}, {"Parent-6"}),

#"Added Custom7" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded6", "v7", (z) => Table.Last(Table.SelectRows(#"Sorted Rows",each z [Index]> [Index] and z [Level]= [Level]+7))),
        #"Expanded7" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Added Custom7", "v7", {"Part Number"}, {"Parent-7"}),

#"Added Custom8" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded7", "v8", (z) => Table.Last(Table.SelectRows(#"Sorted Rows",each z [Index]> [Index] and z [Level]= [Level]+8))),
        #"Expanded8" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Added Custom8", "v8", {"Part Number"}, {"Parent-8"}),

#"Added Custom9" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded8", "v9", (z) => Table.Last(Table.SelectRows(#"Sorted Rows",each z [Index]> [Index] and z [Level]= [Level]+9))),
        #"Expanded9" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Added Custom9", "v9", {"Part Number"}, {"Parent-9"}),

#"Sorted Rows1" = Table.Sort(Expanded9,{{"Index", Order.Ascending}}),
        #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Sorted Rows1",{"Index"})

in #"Removed Columns"

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365 Pro Plus 1708.8431.
    Also, it is crying out for a Table.Buffer in there somewhere

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365 Subscription
    Very clever!
    Ali

Articles
    Excel Version
    O365
    Quote Originally Posted by horseyride View Post
    Also, it is crying out for a Table.Buffer in there somewhere
    Table.Sort and Table.SelectRows?

When I added that, and increased the dataset to 12,000+ rows, I got it down from 135 to 35 secs on my machine. Useful, but still slow.
    I must admit I don't like this solution, M is a functional language, and this solution befits a procedural language, but seeing as my functional solution didn't work I guess I have to swallow aesthetics and go with it . it is good to get a BoM in PQ.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast