Mah Jong score keeping - help with working out differences between scores

gordonrobb

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
I'm putting together a spread sheet to keep track of the scores for Mah Jong and I'm stuck at a bit. Basically there are 4 players, and the one who goes Mah Jong get's a score that the other 3 pay them. If that person is East wind, everyone pays them double. Other wise the person who is east wind pays double. I've managed to figure all of that out. It's not elegant but it works.

However, once the Mah Jong winner has been paid, the other 3 players pay each other the difference between their scores. So if the scores were 25, 50, 20, 5 and the first player was East Wind. If the second player (50) went Mah Jong, everyone pays that player. Then plare one would receive 5 from player 3 (25-20) and 20 from player 4 (25-5). But also, player 3 would receive 15 from player 4 (20-5). Can anyone help me with a way of figuring this out? It has to ignore who went Mah Jong out of the 4.

Please attach your workbook so that we can see the context and help. We might even be able to suggest some improvements.

Please attach your workbook so that we can see the context and help. We might even be able to suggest some improvements.

I have no doubts it can be improved, but I'm not bothered how it does what it does, as long as the result is the same. I'll attach the file, but it does not have the bit that I'm stuck with in it, as I'm stuck with it :)

View attachment MahJong Scorer.xlsx

OK - so I don't play MahJong, however this does not mean I cannot help you.

What it DOES mean is that I need you to manually mock up two or three scanarios based on the scoring rules so that I can see (a) what you want it to look like and (b) how you've calculated it (already partly explained above).

Please add the mocked up items to the spreadsheet and then I'll take a look for you.

OK, thanks very much. I've added some comments to the bits I have already done, and then shown a couple of hands, trying to explain how it is supposed to work. it's complex which is why I'm trying to do it on a spread sheet :)

Hopefully it all makes sense :)

View attachment MahJong Scorer with comments.xlsx

I know it's complex - it's notorious for being so! Let me have a look and see if I can help. :)

Back