Thread: Find the Clash of duty time in excel

Articles
    Excel Version

Find the Clash of duty time in excel

Register for a FREE account, and/
    or Log in to avoid these ads!

Hi,

If i want to create a duty schedule for my employees and i want to check the clash of duty for a person.For example
    John has a schedule for Monday 9.30 to 10.30 in Department A.... if i enter the same name for Department B on Monday 9.30 to 10.30
    excel should show an error and highlight cells for clash of duty as he cannot do the duty at the same time in two different departments.
    Please help how to highlight if there is a clash

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365 Subscription
    Please attach your workbook.
    Ali
    Enthusiastic self-taught user of MS Excel!

Articles
    Excel Version
    Hi,

If i want to create a duty schedule for my employees and i want to check the clash of duty for a person.For example
    John has a schedule for Monday 9.30 to 10.30 in Department A.... if i enter the same name for Department B on Monday 9.30 to 10.30
    excel should show an error and highlight cells for clash of duty as he cannot do the duty at the same time in two different departments.
    In the sheet i have used a color to highlight but how to do that with the help of a formula

Attached Files Attached Files

Articles
    Excel Version
    Office 365 Subscription
    This won't work. You need to have a column for start time and another for finish time populated with proper times, not text. Then you can put together an easy formula.
    Ali
    Enthusiastic self-taught user of MS Excel!

Articles
    Excel Version
    Hope this sheet is okay..Please find the attached file

Articles
    Excel Version
    Excel 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vinoo View Post
    he cannot do the duty at the same time in two different departments.
    If it can help you, try one of these formulas
    Code:
    =AND(IF(COUNTIF($F$2:$F2;$A2&$C2)>1;TRUE;FALSE)=TRUE;IF(COUNTIF($G$2:$G2;$A2&$B2)>1;TRUE;FALSE)=FALSE)
    =AND(COUNTIFS($A$2:$A$7;$A2;$C$2:$C$7;$C2)+COUNTIFS($A$2:$A$7;$C2;$C$2:$C$7;$A2)>1;COUNTIFS($B$2:$B$7;$B2;$C$2:$C$7;$C2)+COUNTIFS($B$2:$B$7;$C2;$C$2:$C$7;$B2)>1)
    =AND(COUNTIFS($A$2:$A$7;$A2;$C$2:$C$7;$C2)+COUNTIFS($A$2:$A$7;$C2;$C$2:$C$7;$A2)>1;COUNTIFS($B$2:$B$7;$B2;$C$2:$C$7;$C2)+COUNTIFS($B$2:$B$7;$C2;$C$2:$C$7;$B2))
    My personal Web Excel Tutorials
    Attention! In the formulas as a delimiter I use a semicolon (; ) if you using my formula, then perhaps you need to use a comma (,)
    Also for a decimal number I use a comma (,) you may need to use point (.) instead of

Articles
    Excel Version
    FYI
    1. select B7:F30
    2.Select "conditional formating"->new rule->Use formula...., then paste following formula to "Format values"

=AND(B7<>"",COUNTIFS($B$7:$B$30,B7,$C$7:$C$30,C7,$D$7:$D$30,D7,$E$7:$E$30,E7,$F$7:$F$30,F7)>1)
    3. choose your color for highlight, "ok" to exit

Quote Originally Posted by vinoo View Post
    Hi,

In the sheet i have used a color to highlight but how to do that with the help of a formula