Color-Coded Bubble Chart Not Updating X Values

ehale

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
unknown
Hello,

I created a bubble chart that is color-coded for two types. Everything updates when I change the values except for the X-Axis. Even when I create the chart from the initial data set, the bubble chart doesn't even pull in the correct values (screen shot below). You can see from the screen shot below the bubble A should be pulling in 4 for the X-axis, but it's pulling in 1.

screenshot 1.PNG

The bubble chart is pulling from a data table that has formulas- the formulas in that data table are connected to the table to the left. The first table in the screen shot above is pulling from the original list on a different tab.

I've tried changing the original data and all the data from "general" to "text," but that did not work. I also tried changing the x-axis formatting to automatic rather than manually changing the bounds, which also did not work.

When i create the table without the colors all the values update correctly, so it has to be something in the formulas, but I can't figure out what it is. Can someone help me?

Here are the screen shots of my formulas for the x-axis

screenshot 3.PNG

I don't think it is the formulas, but in how the data series are defined in the chart. Excel rarely can properly figure out how the data is structured when there are multiple series in a chart that requires an X and Y coordinate (this also happens with scatter plots). You can use the Select Data button on the Chart Design ribbon to open the Select Data dialog box. From there you can edit where Excel should look for each of the parameters it needs for the graph. Here is a screen shot of the settings for the second series in a bubble chart and you can see that by telling Excel where the X values are it correctly places the A bubble. Hope this helps.
Color coded bubble chart.jpg

Back