.exe self executing files

Heyjoe

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Hello Excel programmers,

I did a little research on the internet and the internet said that a program written in most programming languages can be converted to an EXE file.

I did find a program on the internet which claimed that it could convert an excel VBA program to an EXE file. However, my virus protection program did not seem to like the file so I did not open it.

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert an excel vba program to an EXE file and if there is a program they suggest to do this?

I went down this road some time back.

The quick answer is 'No'. Sorry ....

Presently, all available programs known to me do not actually make Excel into an Exe. The commercial add-on only simulates the process.
In my research, all but one of the products I found still require Excel to be installed on the users computer. That in itself is evidence the add-on
program does not actually create an EXE. If it were an actual EXE ..... Excel or Office would not be required.

The one program I located some time back that did not require Excel or Office to be installed was designed to replace having Excel installed.
In other words, the run time files Excel requires were in the add-on file. I don't recall the product name .. sorry. BUT .. there is still a downside to that product.
It still isn't an EXE. And the cost is very prohibitive.

One last comment .... and I can't explain it in technical terms because I don't fully understand the description I located some time ago ... Excel's
coding format is such that it is not possible to convert it into a fully functional / stand alone EXE. It was never designed as such on purpose.

Your best bet ... that uses code very similar to VBA ... would be Visual Basic. Because the language terminology is very much like VBA, the learning
curve would be small.

Visual Basic has morphed through the years into Visual Studio. There is a learning curve with Visual Studio (at least for me) due to the phraseology used in the programming language.
I found going from VB to Visual Studio was akin to moving from VBA to a completely new language. But ... that is me. You may adapt to it very easily.

Hope this helps.

Logit,

Thanks so much for your very thorough answer. You confirmed what I was thinking.

However, my research indicated vb.net is the successor to Visual Basic. But I understand that VB.net is part of Visual Studio.

I have just started learnings Python. For the beginner lessons it seems very similar to VBA.

I've read of others who have incorporated Python with some VBA .... don't understand how that works. And there are a ton of folks who have
gone 100% Python. Guess it all depends on what you are comfortable with.

Best wishes on your project.

Back