Combining transpose, Count and IF

rooirokbokkie

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm having some serious issues with a data set from hell. I managed to merge 3 separate excel files using a combination of IF's, VLOOKUP and sacrificing small animals.

But now I'm hopelessly stuck. the data set contains about 5000 students but their marks are organized in rows and not columns. I need it in columns for SPSS to like it. (so it should look like Sheet 2)

However, there are over 450 subjects and I can only use a subject for analysis if there are more than 100 students who took that subject. I need to somehow transpose the subjects and marks into a new sheet but only if the subject count exceeds 100. Essentially it needs to run down column B and D in Sheet1 and if there are more than 100 students that have taken a specific subject then it should write that subject to a new column in a new sheet and allocate the relevant marks to the relevant student number.

So for argument's sake, let's assume that only Accounting, English, Mathematics, Chemistry 171, and Calculus 158 had more than 100 counts in Sheet 1. This produces Sheet2. It can chuck the other stuff out.

I hope i made it clear what the issue is. I would appreciate some help an awful lot as I don't have time to learn VBA in a day.

Attachments

• Example Excel.xlsx
    376.9 KB · Views: 14
The easy way is to just pivot it, but here is some code to do it

Code:
Public Sub BasicLoop()
Dim this As Worksheet
Dim sh As Worksheet
Dim rowLast As Long
Dim rowMatch As Long
Dim colMatch As Long
Dim i As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Set this = ActiveSheet
    Set sh = Worksheets.Add
    sh.Name = "Formatted"
    sh.Range("A1").Value = "Student"

With this

rowLast = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
        For i = 2 To rowLast

rowMatch = 0
            On Error Resume Next
            rowMatch = Application.Match(.Cells(i, "A").Value, sh.Columns(1), 0)
            On Error GoTo 0
            If rowMatch = 0 Then

rowMatch = sh.Cells(sh.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1
                sh.Cells(rowMatch, "A").Value = .Cells(i, "A").Value
            End If
            If .Cells(i, "B").Value <> "" Then

colMatch = 0
                On Error Resume Next
                colMatch = Application.Match(.Cells(i, "B").Value, sh.Rows(1), 0)
                On Error GoTo 0
                If colMatch = 0 Then

colMatch = sh.Cells(1, sh.Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column + 1
                    sh.Cells(1, colMatch).Value = .Cells(i, "B").Value
                End If

sh.Cells(rowMatch, colMatch).Value = .Cells(i, "C").Value
            End If
        Next i

sh.Rows(1).Font.Bold = True
        sh.Columns.AutoFit
    End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Wow. That worked flawlessly. You sir are a saint. I'll study the macro later to day to try to learn from it. Thank you aigain.

or
Code:
Sub M_snb()
    sp = Sheet3.Cells(1).CurrentRegion.Rows(1)
    ReDim sq(0, UBound(sp, 2))
    sn = [if(sheet1!A1:A1000="","",if(Column(A1:C1000)=1,A1:A1000,if($B1:$B1000="",offset(A1:C1000,,2),$A1:$C1000)))]

With CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
      For j = 2 To UBound(sn)
        st = .Item(sn(j, 1))
        If VarType(st) = 0 Then st = sq

st(0, 0) = sn(j, 1)
        If Not IsError(Application.Match(sn(j, 2), sp, 0)) Then st(0, Application.Match(sn(j, 2), sp, 0) - 1) = sn(j, 3)
        .Item(sn(j, 1)) = st
      Next

Sheet3.Cells(2, 1).Resize(.Count, UBound(sp, 2) + 1) = Application.Index(.items, 0, 0)
    End With
End Sub

Back