General Advice required on handling changes in connected database

GreenBoy

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Office 365
Hi

I have a series of reports that connect to our companies SQL database, and my reports pull dozens of columns ( a couple of reports have over 150 fields).

Our new Database manager has decided that the Db needs a spring clean, which means aligning naming conventions, removing superfluous fields (there are more than a few) etc.

Now this is all great, except that the Db Manager doesn't seem to think its necessary to warn me of the changes he is making in any detail - the mail usually just reads 'made some changes last night, good luck'

What this means is that when i go to run my queries i start getting errors stating a field is missing... i clear it, and then run the query... and am told another field is missing... etc. etc.

The issue is that these only present themselves one at a time as excel encounters them... can any one suggest a way if possible of listing all the issues in one go?

I am using Excel 2016, so wont be using bleeding edge Office 365 releases, which for all i know may have tools to deal with this, including highlighting errors in the advanced editor... i wish!

Any way thanks for any advice or pointers you can give.
Dave

Unfortunately for you, forging a more cooperative and collaborative working relationship with the DB manager is your only way forward, and this should be your priority. Fire fighting is not a solution, it's just a workaround. You need your DB manager to log the changes he's making, perhaps in a document on a shared drive. His E-mails to you, if as vague as you suggest, are at best unhelpful and at worst extremely unprofessional.

You might want to subscribe to Gil Raviv's excellent blog site: https://datachant.com/

I have found his new book particularly helpful for the kind of issues you are facing.

Hi Ali

Thanks for the comment - i agree the DB Manager is not very helpful... but im working on him.
Thanks for the Link - this looks very interesting.

All the best.

Back