Looking for Student Data Files

Ray A. Long

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Hello, I looking for the student data files for these 2 books, if anyone has them or knows where I can get them, please contact me. 1. "Microsoft Excel VBA Programming for the Absolute Beginner, 2nd ED. (2003), publisher was Thomson, Course Technology. #2. "Microsoft Excel VBA Professional Projects" publisher was Course Technology, 2003. I have bought these two books on Amazon & Ebay, and they unlucky for me didn't come with there CD's. So I don't have the Student Data Files need for the accompanying tutorials in the books. The publisher have sold out to Cengage which now doesn't ship new books with the disks. AND I have talked to them about access to there old website that use to allow student to download files directly, but they no longer support these 2 books. To OLD. I have check all my local libraries online and no one still has these books. I'm not willing to pay 3x retail or higher for a new book from the sharks on Amazon or Ebay or others for a NEW BOOK.

thank you for your time
Ray A. Long

I appreciate the help, except, the first link is for "Microsoft Excel VBA Programming for the Absolute Beginner,3rd Ed" of the book which was written for 2007 Excel, I using 2003. I assume that won't work. I plugged in the correct ISBN and got nothing. I had gone to a Delmar site and didn't find anything 2 days ago, except a sound file and a update errata.doc. so was surprised that the 2nd link took me to the correct page for my projects book, just the picture they had on it threw me "Freehand Graphics" software, downloaded the zip files and they were indeed XLS files. I will advise the other sites the you have found the "Microsoft Excel VBA Professional Projects" files. And again thank you.

3rd Ed" of the book which was written for 2007 Excel, I using 2003. I assume that won't work.
I looked at the differences between the book texts of the 2 editions and find they are very similar. Where there are going to be differences are (1) in the Excel user interface (2007 introduced the ribbon) and in VBA help which changed around that time from off-line to on-line and (2) file names/types.
The VBA IDE is, as far as I can tell, exactly the same in both versions.
The chapters in the 2nd and 3rd editions are very similar indeed.
Watch out at the bottom page 283 of the 2nd edition which talks about a TRICK, and setting a reference; If you use the companion files for the 3rd edition this may need double checking (It might show one or more of the references as MISSING, but you'll only need to set the reference to the same as in the 2nd edition's text).
If the companion files turn out to be .xlsm files, there is an office Compatibilty pack you can use to download them into Excel 2003 which will retain all macros working, see:
https://support.microsoft.com/search/results?query=office+compatibility+pack
and
https://officepowerups.com/2013/04/05/how-to-open-excel-2007-2010-and-2013-files-in-excel-2003/
I used Excel 2003 for a long time while others had moved on. The VBA aspects are >99.5% the same.

The two editions' texts are nigh on word-for-word the same.
So in the absence of finding the correct companion files, the third edition companion files are going to be fine.

I did look at the files and they are 2007 xlsm files. sorry for being a dummy but I thought the office Compatibility pack was for forward compatibility not backwards, 2007 accepts 2003, but not 2003 accepts 2007. I'm guessing that I want to install svc pack 3 not 2 since the always included everything in 3 (right) I've downloaded it before. I can find it several flashes for 2 laptop. I'm getting old it seems more complicating then i remember it (installing)

All Office versions are backward compatible out of the box. They can open all older version files.
From one of the links:
"To open xlsx files in Excel 2003, Microsoft has an upgrade package called the Office Compatibility Pack".
xlsx (and .xlsm of course) files are Excel 2007 files and later.

From Ray Long (Author)
Solutions have been found for this request so I am shutting it down. If you have been looking I thank you for your time.

Back