Help sorting dates and dates

sandrussca1

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I am new to the forum and just remembering old times with Excel and just started using the latest version (2013).
I got a database with dates in this format:
="month day, year" or
="November 21, 2013"

When filtering, I don't have the option to sort by date, but by "A to Z letters".

I want to be able to sort this column by dates, but it seems the formatting needs changing.

I've tried changing by going into format cell > and choosing the date category, but I'm still unable to filter by dates.

Can you please help me change date formatting without doing it manually? I've already tried with functions, but it doesn't seem to work either.

Any kind of advice is valuable.

Thanks a lot!

Convert them to real Excel dates as follows:
Select the single column of cells containing the dates (not the entire column of the whole sheet).
In the ribbon, go to the Data tab, and select Text to Columns in the Data Tools section
Choose delimited in the dialogue box, click Next, untick all the boxes, click Next, in Step 3 chose Date and select MDY in the dropdown, then click Finish.
Now your text dates are real dates.

Convert them to real Excel dates as follows:
Select the single column of cells containing the dates (not the entire column of the whole sheet).
In the ribbon, go to the Data tab, and select Text to Columns in the Data Tools section
Choose delimited in the dialogue box, click Next, untick all the boxes, click Next, in Step 3 chose Date and select MDY in the dropdown, then click Finish.
Now your text dates are real dates.

Thanks a lot. It worked in most fields. There were only few rows in which this info was changed into text instead of proper dates, so I had to manually change it. It's all sorted now though. Once again. Thanks!

Back