Excel 2013 does not open some files from the browser

Soel

Reaction score
Hello! I just installed Excel 2013 in Windows 8.1 and I have a problem opening some files from my browser.
In particular, at work we have a C# web application that generates an xls file by doing a Response.Write operation on an html table and setting its mime type to "application/vnd.ms-excel". Every version of Excel from 2000 to 2010 is able to open this file directly from the browser: if I try to download it I have the usual choice to open or save it, and if I choose to open it an instance of Excel is started and after a security warning the file is correctly visualized. Unfortunately with Excel 2013 this procedure doesn't work: everything is executed correctly until Excel is opened, but then I receive an error saying that Excel is unable to read the file. If instead of opening it directly from the browser I save it on my computer and then open the saved file everything works fine even with Excel 2013.
Of course if we try to open from the browser an xls file that was normally created from Excel there is no problem, so I think that something changed in the way Excel 2013 handles html tables, but after several days of research we still have no clue about how to solve this odd behaviour. Do you have any idea about what is the cause of this problem and how to solve it?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Back