drop down list returning list

iain88

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
office 365
HI

I am looking for a way to insert a list into one cell when certain items are selected from a drop down.

any assistance would be appreciated.

I'm sorry but I do not understand you.
Set an example of your workbook with the expected result here on forum in XLS format.
btw: Do you think in a dependent drop-down list?

Iain88,

The key to solving this problem is to use data validation along with the indirect function.

In the enclosed workbook select bread, meat, cheese or topping using the drop down arrow.

Depending which one you choose the appropriate list will be chosen.

Notice that the last data validation uses the indirect function.

Also if you look at the names manager you will see that there is a name for each list.

Attachments

• excelguru.xlsx
    10.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Here is a shot of what i am trying to achieve, if that helps
screen shot.jpg

Here is a shot...
Will you please attach a sample Excel workbook? We are not able to work with or manipulate a picture of one and nobody wants to have to recreate your data from scratch.

1. Make sure that your sample data are REPRESENTATIVE of your real data. The use of unrepresentative data is very frustrating and can lead to long delays in reaching a solution.
2. Make sure that your desired results are also shown (enter multiple the results manually, more possible options and situations).
3. Make sure that all confidential data is removed or replaced with dummy data first (e.g. names, addresses, E-mails, etc.).
4. Try to avoid using merged cells as they cause lots of problems.

Please pay particular attention to point 2 (above): without an idea of your intended outcomes, it is often very difficult to offer appropriate advice.

BTW: You may be able to use the VLOOKUP function

Last edited:
Back