Excel 2007 - IF function or LOOKUP function

dreinisch

Reaction score
I am trying to create a conditional report. For example....if column E is "D" then what is displayed in column G will be "Account Requiring Adjustment". However, I do not know if the 'IF' function is the way to go or if the 'LOOKUP' function is the way to go. I've tried both, but with no success whatsoever. I am hoping someone may be able to help. The formula's I've created appear as follows:

IF FUNCTION:
=IF(E2=D,"Account Requiring Assist Code Adjustment",IF(E2=E,"Adjust Source Code",IF(E2=F,"Adjust LM Counselor",IF(E2=G,"Adjust Plan Type",IF(E2=H,"Email Assigned HOST or Negotiator")))))

LOOKUP FUNCTION:
=LOOKUP(E2,{E,E,F,G,H},{"Account Requiring Assist Code Adjustment","Adjust Source Code","Adjust LM Counselor","Adjust Plan Type","Email Assigned HOST or Negotiator"})

IF FUNCTION:
=IF(E2="D","Account Requiring Assist Code Adjustment",IF(E2="E","Adjust Source Code",IF(E2="F","Adjust LM Counselor",IF(E2="G","Adjust Plan Type",IF(E2="H","Email Assigned HOST or Negotiator","")))))

LOOKUP FUNCTION:
=LOOKUP(E2,{"D","E","F","G","H"},{"Account Requiring Assist Code Adjustment","Adjust Source Code","Adjust LM Counselor","Adjust Plan Type","Email Assigned HOST or Negotiator"})

I would personally use the IF function, so that you don't end up with #N/A if your check cell E2 is blank.

I would personally use the IF function, so that you don't end up with #N/A if your check cell E2 is blank.

But you have to handle that situation, which the OPs formula didn't.

Back