PDA

View Full Version : Assigning numbers

Hockeymom
2018-03-24, 04:09 AM
Iím working on a registration and score sheet, and I need a formula to make one part easier. Kids register and are assigned a group based on age. I then need to take that age group and assign a competition number based on age group and first to register= last out (LIFO). How can I do this with formulas and not sorting after everyone has registered? Thanks in advance!

AliGW
2018-03-24, 07:58 AM
Provide some sample data for us to work with.

Hockeymom
2018-03-24, 10:16 PM
I'm trying to get a value for column B on the "Contestants" page. It's not pretty right now, so please excuse the working state!

Hercules1946
2018-03-26, 01:54 PM
So where do the values that you want to put in Contestants!B come from or how are they calculated ?

p45cal
2018-03-27, 11:59 AM
Very unclear about what you want.
In cell B3 (since your data seems to start in row 3) of the Contestants sheet, you could have:
=G3&COUNTIF($G$3:$G3,$G3)
or:
=G3&TEXT(COUNTIF($G$3:$G3,$G3),"000")
(pay attention to the $ symbols (by the way, you need to add some $ symbols in column D too)
and copy down.
But results in column B will change if anything leads to a change in column G (changing column F (Bump?) Yes/No, changing DOB (column D, changing the date in Data Values!B31) and will also likely change if you change the sort order.
You would need vba code to set assigned numbers in concrete (plain values in the cell) and even then, later changes might lead to non-sequential (missing) assigned numbers.
A difficult one.