Power Pivot Table

rktotten

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Hello! This is my first post. I am self-taught on excel and I have learned to use pivot tables (beginner to intermediate skills). I want to learn more. As I am using this site, I found out about "power pivot tables". Does anyone regularly use a power pivot table? I am an HR Manager and have become the "go to" girl for stats for my company. Can I get some feedback on thoughts about power pivot tables. And any suggestions on a beginner. Thanks!

If I am building something other than a quick and dirty solution that will use pivots, I invariably use Power Query and Power Pivot. The reason for this is that Power Pivots do everything that standard pivots do, you can manage relationships better with diagram view, create hierarchies, denormalise the data to be more star schema like, and add measures using DAX which are much more powerful than calculated columns.

Thanks, Bob. I am so new to excel, so some of what you are referring is a little over my head. However, excel completely intrigues me and I am dying to be A guru as some on here appear to be. I have requested my IT department to download the power pivot add-on; and will take as many courses as possible. Do you recommend one in particular to introduce me to the jargon and functions? I have already purchased Power Pivot University, but is there a "bridge" tutorial before I begin? Thanks again for your reply! It is appreciated.

Back