Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.excelguru.ca
Excel Version(s)
Excel Office 365 Insider
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for Beta Testers for a new addin. It's a combination of my Favourites and Template addins, but rolled up together and updated for use with Excel 2007+. Full details of what the add-in does, and the latest download build can be retrieved from the XLG File Tools Add-in page.

In order to test, you MUST be using Excel 2007 or higher.

To install, go to your Office (2007) or File (2010) menu and go to Options-->Addins-->Go-->Browse and select the addin file (attached). It will add a new File Tools tab, and create a database in the same path that you store the addin. From there, you can use "Manage Favourites" to add favourite files and folders. (And yes, you can also add non-Excel files to your favourites menu).

Beyond that, have a play through the different options and let me know what you think. (Feedback good or bad is appreciated.)

Hi Ken

Is there a 999 limit on files also?

JanineC

Hi keep getting cut off in reply time limit thing! Sorry.

Does the menu refresh every time it loads the files?

Needs a PDF icon. Like that it opens most apps.

Did get a file exception. I have that fixed now in my addin. Snagit bailed so no screenshot next time it happens.

Otherwise so far so good.

File order dropdowns - filenames first then folders is that controlled by XML/vba as mine swapped to be Folders then File Names - just asking?

Janine

Hi Ken

When is Template Editing Mode available - or is it just when building the template?

JanineC

Revised version attached. File Tools tab will now be activated when all workboks have been closed (but application is still alive.)

JanineC said:
Is there a 999 limit on files also?
Honestly, I haven't checked. It will be limited by the amount of XML characters I can post to a string to enumerate the dynamic menus. I've had it up over 50 files, but honestly, I've never considered really going about that as it would be kind of a monster to find things after a while...

JanineC said:
Does the menu refresh every time it loads the files?
Depends on the menu. The recent folders/recent files, yes. The favourite folders/files are rebuilt when the application is opened, and every time the "Manage" panels are closed.

JanineC said:
Needs a PDF icon.
Yes, I need to get to that one. :)

JanineC said:
Did get a file exception. I have that fixed now in my addin. Snagit bailed so no screenshot next time it happens.
Great, thanks. If you check the directory where the addin is installed, you'll also find a log file. It would be handy to see that with the picture.

JanineC said:
File order dropdowns - filenames first then folders is that controlled by XML/vba as mine swapped to be Folders then File Names - just asking?
Not quite sure I follow what you're asking here...

JanineC said:
When is Template Editing Mode available - or is it just when building the template?
You should be able to turn on Template Editing mode at any time. It will only affect things when you go to open a template file though. At that point it should open the template in editing mode instead of creating a copy off the template.

I have uploaded a new build that you can download from the link above, or by clicking here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beta Addin

uploadAM.jpgHi Ken
attached apostrophe parse error in filename - no big deal.
What's in the new build that I've downloaded.

Janine

Hi Ken
My question may be silly but can't one of the databases load the Templates Table dynamically and the Personal Files Table dynamically from the Network path and Personal Files path respectively or is that not a functional idea? It seems to me the continued refresh every time the menu loads is very slow would the database be viable and quicker?

Last edited:
Hi Janine,

What did you do to trigger the parse error above? Were you opening a template file or a favourite? What was the exact path to the file?

Re the continued refresh... the network templates take time to load the first time you click the network templates. The same is true for each subfolder, as they are only enumerated when you expand them the first time. Apart from that, the templates menu shouldn't be refreshing constantly.

I suppose I could put them all into a database as well... I'm just trying to figure out if the gain would be worth it. If it was done when the application was opened, it could slow the application opening down. If it was manual, you could miss updates.

Are you finding the templates very slow to load? I know we did at one point and the issue was actually poor network performance, so was indicative of a bigger problem...

Hi Ken

Forgot to pay attention. Will remember next time. Most probably Template Edit Mode knowing me.
I am in a Time Capsule environment with no Ethernet so it is a little slow. Did say it may be a silly question.
I was just thinking about 999 limit on files with xml that I experience and thought the database loading the files might be an alternative - what can I say I'm thinking outisde the box as usual.
I tend to cheat and use what you call Template Edit Mode to open my documents. Sorry I realise it is Excel based but I do work with txt and csv and vsd files and excel and word so that is why I like to push the boundaries.

Quite enjoy the addin though very useful. May I ask the purpose behind more than one database?
Who is the addin aimed at - any target group in particular?

I feel I am the lone public beta voice - sorry to be such a PITA. I just spout off questions that's what I do and I am quite enjoying your great addin.

Janine

Hi Janine,

You're not being a PITA, I appreciate the feedback. :)

With regards to the database... I run the same laptop at work and at home. So for me I wanted the ability to easily separate my work Favourites from my home ones, as well as from those I use when I teach. I set up my work one as default, which resides on a network drive. When the add-in opens, it looks for that database, and if it can't find it then it fails over to my home one. I set the other one deliberately when I need it.

The main target audience is pretty much anyone who feels that they want more control over the favourites/recent files lists, or just want to get to those files withouth having to jump to the Office/File menus.

I have posted a page on my main site with some details about the add-in now. Will be working on a more detailed set of usage instructions later, and am still looking for more beta testers too. :)

Hi Ken

In Template Edit Mode if I open a Network template from dropdown is it possible to make the template's application (Word Visio etc) active instead of Excel or not?

I take back the Word idea - it opens a new instance of Word - I don't want new instances just the document to be the active window. Otherwise I have numerous instances of Word open.
But thank you Ken.

Actually, Janine, that's how it always worked, it just didn't take focus.

When you say you have numerous instances of Word open, you're talking about documents, not program instances (WINWORD.exe) correct?

Actually, Janine, that's how it always worked, it just didn't take focus.

When you say you have numerous instances of Word open, you're talking about documents, not program instances (WINWORD.exe) correct?

Yes Ken. Thanks. I popped in a network the other day and it got spat out except for last browse folder it called up the DMS interface. - Nothing wrong with that our network blocks.

Hi Ken. I see you're looking for testers for this app, but note that in this thread you hardly discuss what it does...and the download link resolves in the file itself rather than in the page that explains what the file is for. Can I suggest you amend your original post to cover what it does a bit more, and point your download link for this add-in resolves to the page that explains what it does (Presumably the relevant page is http://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?254-XLG-File-Tools-Add-in )

I'll take it for a spin.

Cheers

Jeff

Back