PQ - Append only values NOT IN first dataset

porter444

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Excel 2016 MSO 64 Bit
Here is a short video that explains what I'm trying to accomplish: https://youtu.be/Z_wTBt8LWoM

I've got 4 datasets that I'm appending. The first 3 are what I would call "managed lists" (together they are about 2,500 records). In other words, someone has reviewed the values and made specific choices about the key value and changed values in other columns for that item. The 4th list is ALL original values in the "master dataset" (about 10,000 records), even the values from the other 3 lists.

What I need to end up with is the new list of ALL items, but replace the original items in the "master dataset" with the items that are in the "managed lists".

To clarify, if the original "master dataset" has 10,000 records, the new list would also have 10,000 records.
  • 10,000 original records
  • - 2,500 original values being replaced with something from the managed list
  • +2,500 managed list values
  • 10,000 original/managed records

Step 1: I created queries for each of the 4 datasets. (all have the same column names, and each list contains all unique values in the first column).
Step 2: I append the 3 "managed lists" together via a query - named "Append - Managed". (nothing special here)
Step 3: I want to append the "master dataset" to the "Append - Managed", but only bring in values that are NOT IN the "Append - Managed" set

Merge 10K old with 7.5K scrubbed using left anti (only items in 10k old not in 7.5k scrubbed merged) then append this result to 7.5K scrubbed. It will take 30 seconds, sure someone may have more elegant solution.

Send some fake data and I will do it if you like

Back