Import file from folder; file & data is duplicating

margaretkm127

Reaction score
Hi Ken & Team -
This is my first post, ever!! I'm normally pretty resourceful and can figure things out in excel but this time I'm really stuck! While researching I was listening to a podcast from John Michaloudis at MyExcelOnLine, Ken was a guest in this particular pod cast recorded the summer of 2016. In this podcast Ken suggested using this forum to get answers to question, I'm confident you'll be able to look at my material and pin-point exactly where I'm going wrong!

Our department has many files we receive daily or monthly, I've watched several video's on how to import the file from folder and when the new file is generated we can bring that into our folder and the power query would automatically refresh and update with the new data. Every time we attempt the initial query set up we get a second binary row during the expand import process which results in duplicate rows of data. I've attached the screen shots of the steps I'm taking, if someone can point out at which step I'm doing something wrong I would GREATLY appreciate it! I know power query is a better approach to managing some of our daily work and files, I just need to get it working!

Thank you for your attention in this matter.
Margaret

Attachments

• Importing file from folder.docx
    146.8 KB · Views: 12
Margaret consider sending excel file with fake data so that we can take a look, screen shots are seldom the best way to help solve issues

The only situation I can think of a file being duplicated in the list would be a copy of the file in a sub folder.
In that case you can apply a filter to the "Folder Path" column, e.g. to include only files from the ".../OOGP Dispute" folder and not from sub folders.

I agree with Marcel here. Either a duplicate file, or you've managed to hit on a bug. That's very odd..

Back