Left Vlookup

Anne Troy

Reaction score
With all the articles online, you would think I'd be able to make it work. I am the queen of vlookup and the slave to index/match.
Here is the problem:

In a worksheet called ScreenCats, I want to look up the value in A2 ("Lunch Specials") and find it in column B on a worksheet called MenuData, then return the value one cell to the left of it
I only need to find it once. I cannot workout the appropriate index/match configuration to save my worthless life.

I have attached a sample. If someone could put the formula in there for me or give me a literal formula here (meaning one I can copy/paste), I would be eternally grateful. I'm sick of making extra columns to the right. Can you believe I'm developing an APP here in VBA and can't get this stupid formula?

View attachment excelgurusample.xlsx

I am fine with named ranges!

Last edited:
try this in cell B2 in ScreenCats =INDIRECT("MenuData!A"&MATCH(A2,MenuData!B:B,0))

You know, I don't know WHY that works. It looks VERY generic. I don't know WHY I couldn't make it work before. Thanks SOOOO much.

Ken: Thanks for giving us this forum.

Anne, you know that INDIRECT is the last refuge of Excel scoundrels.

What is wrong with a simple INDEX/MATCH?

=INDEX(MenuData!A:A,MATCH(ScreenCats!A2,MenuData!B:B,0))

Okay, Bob. I defer to your formulaic knowledge. I have another one for you. I will post a new thread. I appreciate fast help. LOL

Okay, Bob. I defer to your formulaic knowledge. I have another one for you. I will post a new thread. I appreciate fast help. LOL

Formulaic? Are you suggesting that I follow a preformed set of rules to answer these threads? :shocked:

Back