Update Excel 2016 PQ ('Get and Transform') to Latest Version

dburke

Reaction score
Just got hold of Excel 2016 (64-bit) and feel like I've stepped back in time (and not in a good way).

Two questions related to Power Query (now called 'Get and Transform')
1) How to determine which PQ version is installed?
I do not see an 'About' button which shows version number (like in Excel 2013)
Many PQ features present in Excel 2013 are absent from my Excel 2016 version

2) How can Excel 2016 be updated to latest version of PQ?
I downloaded and tried installing the latest version but get message "Microsoft Power Query for Excel (x64) is already included in Microsoft Excel 2016. You can find it under the Data tab"

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Re the missing features, there are two potential things that could cause this:
1) You are running a business SKU, not an Enterprise SKU. Many of the Enterprise level data sources (Exchange, SQL Server Analysis Services, etc) are not available outside the Enterprise level SKU's. (They will refresh, but you don't have the one button connectors at your fingertips.
2) You are running a "static" build of Excel, not the Subscription version. And, if you're on subscription, you may also find that you're on the Deferred track, getting your stuff a bit later than other users.

To check your version, go to Data --> New Query --> Query Options --> Diagnostics. I'm currently running 2.40.4554.161 64-bit BUT... I'm on the Office Insiders Fast build.

The big key that is even more important though, is to go to File --> Account. It should tell you what SKU you are running, and if it is part of a subscription product or not. Let me know what you've got there.

Back