Nesting HLOOKUP and MATCH issue

nick_c

Reaction score
Hello,

I was just wondering if someone could look at the provided attachments and assist me with the letter F on the question sheet? I determined which functions I need to use however I am unable to get them to work. Not entirely sure why the information I'm putting into the functions won't produce results.

Thanks and regards to whomever can assist me

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 11.32.58 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 11.32.58 AM.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 11.32.22 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 11.32.22 AM.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 11.32.35 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 11.32.35 AM.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 13
Is this a homework assignment? If so, then we can't really help, but even if we could, I would not bother trying to scrutinise screenshots. Explain what you are doing in your post and attach a sample workbook showing what you have tried so far.

Well I'm supposed to determine delivery charges of each item (on the items sheet of the screenshots). The delivery charges are based upon the province to which the item is being sent and the mode of delivery, the prices of which are displayed on the controls sheet in the attachment. This is a homework assignment, however due to it being an online course, the professor takes a long time to respond, doesn't offer much help when she does and is incredibly vague by going into essentially no detail about how functions are nested, so how am I to learn without asking another human being for assistance given that I've exhausted all other options of trying to figure it out through research and materials provided?

Last edited:
Attach the workbook here. I will have a look and give you a pointer or two, but I should warn you that I am a teacher myself, and I know how quickly some students will give up. I do not teach spreadsheets: I teach languages. I have taught myself spreadsheets, and it's taken a lot of trial and error, which is what you have to be prepared to do. :)

Thanks for looking at it for me, the file should be attached on this message. I have been attempting to figure this question out for a solid 2 hours, so it is not lightly that I come to a random forum and seek assistance. lol

Attachments

• COMP1600_A2_F16.xlsx
    88.9 KB · Views: 12
OK. You are almost there! Here's your clue:

You are using MATCH to determine the row number for the HLOOKUP function to use. The MATCH function needs an array that is just one cell wide.

Hopefully you can now spot your error and put it right. :)

Still can't get it. I tried putting the MATCH array from A9:A11 but that didn't work. I have no idea how to make it work.

Hello again,

Would you be able to help me again if I upload the file with all the new information? Basically I have to total the customers' purchases by using a lookup function and their customer IDs I believe anyway.

The formula I have concocted to accompany this is: =VLOOKUP(Customers!A2,'Order Details'!$E$2:$E$499, MATCH(SUM('Order Details'!K2+'Order Details'!L2),'Order Details'!$K$2:$L$499, 0), FALSE)

Could you please critique this and give me a hint?

Attachments

• COMP1600_A2_F16.xlsx
    159.3 KB · Views: 3
I'm away from my PC until the morning, so without looking at your workbook again, I would suggest that you have a good look at all of the various functions in Excel that have the word SUM in their name. The help file gives good examples of their usage. :)

Back