Omitting rows from a calculated column

mb3210

Reaction score
I have a very simple worksheet with financial data. It has 13 columns and formulas in 6 of them. The first row is column headings. The second row is beginning balances and should not be included in the calculations for the remainder of the column. I simply cannot figure out how to maintain the formula(s) as rows are added to the columns. I tried creating a table and using calculated columns, but the formula over-rode row 2 beginning balances.

This seems like a very ordinary need yet I can't resolve it. I am fairly new to Excel so your answers need to not assume a great knowledge base. I'm learning as I go. Thanks.

What is the formula that you are using that you want to exclude row 2 from?

There are 6 separate formulas:
=SUM(M2,B3)
=F2-E3
=H2-G3
=J2-I3
=L2-K3
=SUM(M2,B3)-D3

I am confused. I thought you wanted to omit row 2, yet all those formula show a reference to a cell in row 2....

But you can elaborate? Perhaps also post a workbook?

Sorry, I still am not sure what the issue is. It looks like you are accumulating balances as you go down... so not sure why you don't want to include row 2 and if not, what should it be?

I'm sorry for being confusing. My goal in all of this is to have the formulas continue down the columns as new rows are added.

Do not crosspost your question on multiple forums without including links here to the other threads on other forums.

Cross-posting is when you post the same question in other forums on the web. The last thing you want to do is waste people's time working on an issue you have already resolved elsewhere. We prefer that you not cross-post at all, but if you do (and it's unlikely to go unnoticed), you MUST provide a link (copy the url from the address bar in your browser) to the cross-post.

We are here to help so help us to help you!

Read this to understand why we ask you to do this, and then please edit your first post to include links to any and all cross-posts in any other forums (not just this site).
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/968545-omitting-rows-calculated-column.html#post4648698

I have attached a version of your spreadsheet that, I feel, solves your problem with the formulae. All totals are maintained at the TOP of the spreadsheet where they are easily readable.

You can enter the detail information underneath the total line and it will maintain your balances without having to change the location of any formula. If you need different pages for different accounts, just copy the layout of an empty sheet to new tabs as necessary and rename the tab to a meaningful name.

I hope I have interpreted your requirements correctly.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Test Example.xlsx
    13.4 KB · Views: 19
I simply cannot believe your generosity & kindness in formatting this template for me! I was thoroughly shocked!! There is no way I could ever have created such a functional and beautiful layout. May the Lord reward you for your kindness. Interestingly, I don't pay attention to the named public celebration days but yesterday was "Do something kind for someone Day." I worked with it today and it was SO helpful. Again, a huge thank you!!!

mb, you are certainly welcome! I enjoy solving problems such as yours, and your response to my assistance was the best reward.

Back