If cell B2 is not blank, "length" + information of cell B2 should be shown

Brecht

Reaction score
Excel Version(s)
Version 2007
Hello there,

I have an excel sheet that contains product details. So for example in cell B2 I have the length of a product, C2 the width, D2 the height and E2 the material. I wish to make an 'automatic product text' on the basis of these cells, but some cells are left blank (because information is missing).
So what I should have, ideally is the following result:

- Length: B2
- Width: C2
- Height: E2
- Material: D2

But for example if cell E2 is blank, this should not be shown in the text.

I tried the formula
=(IF(B2<>"";"-Length";""))

which shows the text -Length (and nothing when B2 is blank), but how can I add the information of cell B2 to this text? And how can I continue the formula so that the rest of the information is filled in as well?

Thank you in advance :)

Best wishes,

Brecht

See if this formula in cell F2 and copied down will give you the desired description:

="Length: "&IF(B2>0,B2,"unavailable, ")&" Width: "&IF(C2>0,C2,"unavailable, ")&" Height: " &IF(E2>0,E2," unavailable, " )&" "&D2

@KenDue thank you for your reply.

This is what I get now

LengthWidthHeightMaterial
Product 11
Bronze
Length: 1; Width: 2; Height: 3; Material: Bronze
Product 21
Metal
Length: 1; Width: unavailable; Height: 3; Material: Metal

So yes, the formula works, but what I want is that for Product 2 (where the width is unavailable), the text becomes: Length: 1; Height: 3; Material: Metal .

Try this
=IF(B2>0,"Length: " & B2,"")&IF(C2>0,"; Width: "&C2,"")&IF(D2>0,"; Height: "&D2,"")&IF(E2<>"","; Material: "&E1:E3,"")

I would agree with Sunny's changes until you get to the "Material: " segment of the formula. I don't see any need for the "IF" statement or the range E1:E3... just end the formula &"; Material: "&E2 (or whatever cell contains the description of the material.

Hi KenDue, thanks for your comment.

I felt it is better to be safe to check the material as well. The 2 sample data given may not cover all the scenarios.

Try this file

Attachments

• Unavailable or Not.xlsx
    13.3 KB · Views: 10
Back