conditional formatting

avnsh22

Reaction score
i want to changer colour of a particular cell with respect to its above cell, so that if the lower cell value is smaller than the upper one then its value shoud get changed and after that this conditional formatting should be applied for all cells. plz reply.

thanks in advance.....

Let's say you your data starts from A1...
1) Select the range of cells you want the conditional formatting to be applied. (Do not include A1 in your selection). For example A2:A100
2) Go to home > Conditional formatting > New Rule > Use formula to determine which cells to format.
3) Type in the formula =A2>A1
4) Click format and choose what color you want the cells to be.
5) Click ok and apply

Tried but not working

Thanks for reply but i tried its not working .changing one cell value changes other selected cells colour also. In the attachment i tried to apply for a row so that if value of any cell in the sheet goes down from its upper cell value then it should get it colour changed. plz reply

Thanks

Attachments

• Book2.xlsx
    8.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, but I'm getting a little confused rereading your original post. When you "its value should get changed". Do you actually mean the value as in the number inside the cell?

It was late last night when I replied and overlooked the word "value" portion. My method will change the cell colour, not the actual value itself.

If changing the cell colour was what you were going for then the above method works. Your attachment is not working properly because you have absolute references (the "$" before the column and the row in the formula). Try removing them and see if those were the results you wanted.

Your conditional formatting does not work because you had the two arguments set to.

Applied to: $A$1:$I1$4 - =A1 < A1048576 - Make Blue
Applied to: $A$1:$I1$4 - =A1 > A1048576 - Make Green

Those formulas where comparing the first cell in column A to the last cell in the worksheet.

Your formulas should be as follows:

Applied to: $A$2:$I1$4 - =A2 < A1 - Make Blue
Applied to: $A$1:$I1$4 - =A1 > A2 - Make Green

See attached image.

attachment.php

Attachments

• conditionalformat.PNG
    conditionalformat.PNG
    59.7 KB · Views: 20
Back