Problem Transitioning from Excel to Power BI ... Using Parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted Murphy

Reaction score
Scenario:

I have built a model Using Power Pivot 2016 whereby I can have different source data inputs for an unlimited number of clients.

Client data is stored in discrete Excel Workbooks which are stored in a Client Folder.

In the master Workbook which does all the calculations, I created a Power Query that reads the contents of this folder and returns the contents to a Worksheet Table ... very straightforward stuff.

Using Ken Puls' fnGetParameter structure, I then reference the contents of this table by putting a Data Validation Rule in the Value column of the Parameters table. This all works fine in Excel.

I now want to migrate the Application to Power BI Desktop and am having difficulty in utilising the new Get Parameters from a Query Option as announced in the July Update.

My thinking is that I should be able to create a Power Query that will read the contents of the folder that holds the Client Workbooks and allow me to make a selection from the list.
I want to store this selection as a Parameter that I can reference in the other queries in the pbix file (there are up to 60 individual queries in the App at this stage).

When defining the Parameter I am unable to get the Client List Query to display the contents so that I would be able to make the selection once at run time.

I am not sure if I have given enough details here to get across what my problem is ... if not please let me know.

Thanks,

Ted

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back